1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommend A Trickle Charger

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by dukenukem, Nov 17, 2018.

1. Can anyone suggest a trickle charge for my 2018 Monster 1200 please.

I am still riding it most days but I expect soon I’ll be taking an unwanted break.

And if my bike doesn’t have a charge cable how difficult/is there a guide to installing?

Cheers

2. What’s wrong with the Ducati one? Thread moved too :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. I'm a fan of any one from the optimate range:upyeah:

• Like Like x 4
  4. There’ll be a cable under the seat.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Aldi are doing chargers ATM for an amazing price and they work really well.
    You would have to solder your own plug on though and fit the corresponding other half to your battery terminals, unless you already have one fitted to the bike, as suggested.

• Like Like x 2

6. Or you take your seat off and connect the clips at the battery terminals

But if you want to use it all year around - better get an optimate adapter (or Keis if you have heated clothing) and fit that and modify the Aldi charger lead with a suitable plug, soldering iron and heat shrink.

If that is beyond you - then buy an optimate charger or similar..

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. I’ve got a ctek mxs3.8 on my 1200r , been using these for several years with no problems .

8. good solid company...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Optimate 4 is what I use, with a permanent TM71 lead on the bike(s) I use. And bizarrely I've only just realized my honda silent eu3000is generator can take one also!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Another vote for Optimate here, used my previous one for years, then got a LiPo one for the MV and have since treated myself to a new Optimate4 for the Mutley. My old one is an old Mk3, I believe, with the Tamiya connector. You're welcome to have that if you like, perfectly serviceable for lead acid or AGM batteries. You might need to make up a lead for your battery with the corresponding Tamiya connector if I can't find the original though. Drop me a PM if you want it, be good to send it to a new home.

#10 Bumpkin, Nov 17, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  11. I have a ctek, connected to the multistrada , around £60 from memory few years ago
    Cheaper oxford basic optimate connebted to my Sp1, they are around £25 now...does exactly the same job ! Don’t waste money on anything more than £25, that’s my advice

• Like Like x 1
  12. Amazon have an offer on the Ctek 3.8 charger at the moment at £46, cheapest I have seen it.
    The 5.0 was £58 yesterday but is £80 now. Knew I should have bought it last night.
    The 3.8 will do anyway I think.

13. Nothing at all, although my last one failed.
    I can get voltage readings from the dash & my phone (biketrac app), but occasionally sometimes it’s convenient to glance at the optimate screen when my RR is on charge.
    An optimate (or equivalent) can be used across a wider range of bikes.

14. Oxford Optimate!? Surely some mistake?

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. I've a couple of these...
    [​IMG]

16. I had the dedicated Ducati charger for a while until it decided not to work anymore.
    You can’t go wrong with an opitimate.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Wow! So many replies thanks everyone. Ok, so I’ve had the Monster all of three weeks and barely had time to properly look it over. Too busy making the most of the last of the sunny days...

So...

@El Toro Should my Monster have an existing cable that is ready to work with only Ducati charges?

Not even noticed anything, will have a closer look tomorrow.

And if I want to use an Optimate (I think I have a 15 year old one that no doubt will be way past it’s best) will I need to do all the soldering or simply change the plug?

Thanks again everyone, scouring Amazon right now @iang27 cheers and will check out Aldi thanks @Old rider

Although with the offer from @Bumpkin I may already be sorted, bonkers!

Seems I need to look at the connector I (may) have and see what I can do with that. Maybe they make converters?

18. @dukenukem my guess is it will be under the seat. Both my Panigale and Scrambler’s are.

But here’s an idea..........why not look in the owners manual? ;)

It’ll be to suit a Ducati trickle charger but if you want to use an optimate you can buy a connector from Ebay or amazon.

19. That’s so good of you @Bumpkin if my connector works with that my friend I will humbly accept your offer cheers. Will message you and check what connector I have ;)

20. Ha brilliant cheers mate yes I hadn’t even imagined it would be standard tbh. So I can get a Ducati -to- Optimate for example?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information