1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommend Me Some Decent Ear Plugs...

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by Poucher, Jul 2, 2019.

1. Hi Guys,

For years I’ve used the same type of ear plugs, these Howard Leight Max ones.
    But suddenly they just don’t seem to be working for me anymore, don’t know if I’ve got a bad batch or something??

4B119944-15E6-461C-A6F0-509559BCDCBE.jpeg

Problem is they don’t seem to stay rolled up tight long enough for me to insert them into my ears properly, earlier ones I’ve had stay rolled up tight so you can get them into your ears before they start to expand, it’s as though whatever they coat them in hasn’t been applied properly?
    It’s just like if you try and wash them and it buggers up the plugs ability to stay tightly rolled up??

I need some good plugs because my Panigale seems to be getting louder, I mean REALLY LOUD!!!
    Has the ability to make small children’s noses bleed when I pass by!

Anyone recommend anything better, I’m after as much noise reduction as I can get?

Are silicone plugs any better at cutting noise out?
    Has anyone tried these kits where you can Mold your own silicone plugs at home, any good??

Must admit I prefer the foam ones as you can bin them when they start to look grubby.

Thanks in advance for your help

2. #2 bootsam, Jul 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. The trouble with the custom ones is that a) they generally don't block noise as well as the foam ones due to a lower SNR rating, b) your ears change shape naturally as you get older and they won't work properly any more in 1-2 years, c) they're generally created by monkeys with syringes as there's no requirement to have any medical training for doing it, d) they're expensive and if you lose one pair you've lost a lot of money. You don't care if you lose a pair of foam ones.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. I use Howard Leight Max, I buy them by the box of 200 pairs. After many years I'm part way through my second box.

I did store some in the shed at my old house and, after a few months, they did exactly what you're describing. They were too soft and spongy and didn't stay compressed long enough to put into your ears. Might have been low temperatures over winter or temperature fluctuations. The rest of the box that was left indoors was fine.

5. #6 Chris, Jul 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
  6. I use these for sleeping with the windows open, on planes or in hotels - very effective.
    On the bike I generally use Auritech biker earplugs although for longer journeys I also use Ultimate ear custom made bluetooth jobs.

7. Pardon?

• WTF WTF x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. I have tried all kinds over the years, and Howard Leight Max ones are by far the best. However I don't roll them up prior to inserting...just line up and push all the way in (I do mean quite far) as if not, they are just not that effective..be careful obviously!

9. The trick with the foam ones is to hold them in place until you can't hear much BEFORE putting your lid on.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. I cut the tips off mine, just to make them flat, makes deep insertion ( :p:blush: ) far more comfortable over long periods. Likely the results are different depending on the shape of the inside of your ear but this works for me and doesn't seem to make them any less effective at attenuating noise.

As Mac says; holding them in whilst they expand is vital. With my 'snipped tip' method this means I sometimes might have to use a key to break the seal and get an edge to get a hold of to remove them.

11. And here's a weird tip... if you have trouble getting a foam earplug out with the hand on the same side of your body that the earplug's in, try using the opposite hand. It doesn't always work, and you might need tweezers after all, but I'd say I have about a 90% success rate when I've used it.

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. Yeah, it actually says on the back of the pack to hold in place for 40 seconds .....

So 40 seconds each ear, equals 1 min 20 seconds......all my mates will be a couple of miles away before I’ve even got my helmet on!!! :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Give the Duc time to warm up and get oil to the vertical cylinder :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. That's a good tip, will try that next time. Though my key method works well, I don't go at it like a fisherman with a disgorging tool, just press against the one side of the plug and the moving the key towards the centre unseats it.

15. These are mine. No issue, just pull the top of the ear and slide in perfectly.

Screenshot_20190702_201207.jpg

16. Have you tried holding them in with just one hand on each ear at the same time?

• Useful Useful x 1
  17. Nope....that wouldn’t work if you think about it..

You need two hands to get a plug in, you’d have to let go of the first plug before the 40 seconds is up to roll and insert the second one ;)

P.S. I’m just mucking about here, never spent much time considering plug rolling/insertion techniques :D !!

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information