1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

916 Recommended Engine Oil?

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by don quixote, Apr 10, 2018.

1. Forum - This is such a newbie question.
    I need to top up my oil. The handbook is 24 years old so i ive ruled out that. Haynes manual says four tupes. 10w40, 10w50, 20w40 & 20w50! Ebay advertise 916 engine oil and some are synthetic and others are semi-synthetic! im confused!

I just want to top up my 1995 bip. Any advice please?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Yip, Motul 7100 fully synthetic
    I'd say not 20/40 because it's too small a range for a modern multigrade.
    The idea is to have an oil that's thin enough to give decent oil pressure from cold and not get too thin when hot.
    The first number indicates how viscous it is when cold and the second how viscous when hot, compared to a single grade oil.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thanks so much guys. Perfect :upyeah:

4. Yep, Motul 7100 in mine too

5. Mazola pure corn oil, the engine feels really crisp..........

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  6. Any high quality 15w/40 fully syn is fine. May as well give it an oil change and filter change. You cannot do this too often. :) Esp on a 916. I think mine averages one every couple of thousand miles as it gives me something to do.

7. Every year mine has oil/filter change.I use Motul 300v.15/50,I believe.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Hi guys - I have a 748 and have 4L of Motul 5100 10W-40 sitting around. Do you think the "semi-synthetic" is fine as well? Would switch to the 7100 next year..

9. No! Buy decent oil. It's a 20 odd year old high performance engine.

• Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  10. Thanks for the quick reply.. ok - will get the 7100 10W40 straight away :)

11. Shell advance 4T Ultra 15w-50

12. How many miles are you likely to do ? Andy

13. Hi Andy - not many, just every now and then a tour on the weekend..

14. IME, your Motul semi is fine. Change to 7100 before the season starts next year. Andy

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Motul stuff is great

16. I would certainly use it, a modern semi-synthetic it is as good as the best oils back in the day.
    We are not talking race engine here and presumably you won't track the bike?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information