1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

916 Red & Green Should Never Be Seen!? Contains 916 Tart Bits

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Macca, Sep 24, 2021.

1. D44ED4A2-CFCD-4AD5-B469-DA26EAD60236.jpeg 7BFFF1FC-D0DF-4C05-8ACA-A3799929BBFB.jpeg 9504EFA3-6E19-46E5-B5BA-98638F1B94DD.jpeg 867249AA-473E-40E5-84D5-AE785875B2FC.jpeg I’ve had my rose tinted specs 916 for a few months now & it’s done it’s very best to dissuade me from wanting to try to ride it any distance as every time I’ve tried something broke etc :/ whereas my old 916 only had a reg/rec failure on the day I sold after 5 yrs ownership. Anyways I’ve treat it to some bling:tartup bits in the hope she starts to behave a bit better (fingers crossed). Bling bits added
    Red mirrors (not sure ? Too much red ?)
    Duc performance carbon clutch cover. ( wrong era logo font buts its my fave clutch cover shape - duc street fighter style)
    Carbon front v panel to save the nice red one it has from road rash.
    Corbin saddle, it’s a monoposto one but it still fits and at some point I’ll fit a monoposto tail to match plus its more comfy than stock saddle .
    Red duc pressure plate (can’t see it as cover not vented)
    Stuff that broke
    Reg/Rec wasn’t connected to stator so batt went flat , wires were crisscrossed by previous owner . Fixed wires and all good (so far).
    Gear shift fell off as bolt came out on a ride, fixed at roadside by stealing a bolt out of front fairing mount until i could sort properly at home. PO failed to tighten?
    Stopped starting as fuel pump relays (both!) gave up or one was dead and the other started to fail (they appear to be wired in parallel?) fixed temporarily with a remove refit then later with replacements.
    Clutch lever went v-soft then solid on a ride leaving me with a locked clutch I couldn’t disengage! I managed to get it home without stopping and stalled it on the drive. Issue was clutch hub nut had come undone letting the outer clutch plates jam the basket!!! Pressure plate spring washers had scored inside of original cover amazing it got me home! I suspect PO failed to torque up hub nut properly during their strip / refresh. I refitted clutch and torqued to upper spec from manual as well as going over as many fixings as I figured could kill me if undone on a ride with the torque wrench.
    Front fairing to headlamp shell had been fitted solid with bolts nuts instead of wellnuts this I believe led to cracking around the mirror mount of fairing, replaced with NoS replacement and wellnuts used.
    Hoping that’s the last of the issues .

FAC11E6A-F94A-43A7-8CFC-055E45CF667E.jpeg

#1 Macca, Sep 24, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Hoping your distance luck improves

#2 Jez900ie, Sep 24, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
  3. Just took it for a short spin out and nothing fell off so that's a plus and it felt fekking lovely after riding the big bus that the H2SX is .

• Like Like x 1
  4. Looks good, Macca. I've got an OEM Biposto pilot's seat re-covered with grey Alcantara if you'd like - never been sat on. It would go very well with your red pillion seat. IMG_20210930_125958.jpg IMG_20210930_125946.jpg IMG_20210930_130011.jpg Make me an offer?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Looks lovely Macca!

I can utterly empathise….in fact, are you sure your new 916 and my new 748 weren’t owned by the same guy! Lol.

One ride = 2-3 weeks of fixing….pretty much every ride since I got it in late Feb. I started documenting it the other evening, you know, for the history file. It was shocking how much bloody work I’ve done on this thing. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve very much enjoyed the tinkering, and so long as it doesn’t strand me somewhere I can tolerate it. On the plus side, I’ve used it to justify some nice little while-I’m-at-its….nothing major, just sensible upgrades like silicone hoses and new clips, new seals/bearings/fixings/battery. Still got to rebuild the forks though, the dealer somehow managed to not fix it properly before I took delivery, and it’s pissing oil out when standing….so…no more riding this season but it’ll be fighting fit and a lovely, properly sorted example that’s as mechanically sound to match it’s cosmetics (which are very nice)

• Like Like x 1
  6. I feel your pain/Misery loves company etc. That said mine isnt all bad, there are lots of bits the Previous owner did that are fekking lovely. I think all (if not most) of the bolts have been replated in the pukka gold zinc. Paintwork is lovely, polished exhaust pipes , the engine cases are in superb condition etc, new Corsa tyres , NoS Ohlins rear shock, 50mm Carbon Termis (removed for Sunday best for the moment) & I obtained a set of Ti Arrow cans as my experience of carbon cans is the carbon cases will fail due to exhaust gas heat at some point. That said I fitted a set of good nick original (Cagiva logo) std cans for the recent(ish) MoT , & they also sound lovely so they are still on... Writing this has given me a craving to go ride it 'part from the roads are sopping wet and starting to get covered in autumn crap :/

7. My 916 was sat in the garage one day, I happened to walk past just as it burst into flames. I shit you not, the electrics just started smoking and burning out, all by themselves, the bloody key was hanging up in the kitchen.

• WTF WTF x 2
  8. With standard battery or Lithium fitted?

9. Standard, very old and in a really poor state, it required a fair bit of repair from Rich at Louigi moto.

10. “Red and Green should never be seen…”
    9856B6D8-1FF9-4BA9-A078-9EA2230DBBA4.jpeg

11. D4B72DA2-74EB-47B5-9CB8-DF51A05CF51A.jpeg 646DD311-893A-4694-A7E3-00959BE3F148.jpeg Well if it ain’t broke break it as its justs pretending it was working properly! I re found a motobatt 16au I had in a box on a shelf in my random collection of bits in the garage, it had what appeared reasonable charge of 12.2v given it had sat there unused since before summer last year, charged it over night on my Nocco in AGM mode and had a green full light in the morn. Alas it turned out it probably couldn’t turn over a feather when connected to my 916 giving only starter relay clicks , back to the old yuasa which needed a top up . Whilst ferkin about I noticed lhs fairing was damp at the bottom with coolant so had another issue to find. Spent this afternoon checking for leaks, badly positioned hoses loose clamps, found all 3! and topped off the fill tank with antifreeze . Ran it up to temp/fans kicked in & it appears to be leak free (for now). Ps the motobatt was swapped out on my 900 Superlight when I was chasing slow starter issues, I fixed that with new bushes and 12v post kit in the old starter so thought the old batt would work as a spare, looks like it was as goosed as the starter or just died in the interim.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information