1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

999 Red Key No Black Keys

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by xander296, Jan 13, 2020.

1. If I have a red key and no black keys can I program a new black key?
    Thanks

2. Check with @chrisw but I think so

3. As long you have your red key, you can reprogram your ECU to accept new black keys.

4. Providing the black key transponders have codes and are not blank.

5. Thanks both for the replys quick response so just to clarify I dont need a black key or the code card just the red key and a new black key?

6. Red key and two coded black keys

7. This should be everything you need to know. Its from the Ducati manual, so its a bit long winded!

Key programming / procedure / steps / sequence
    and immobilizer override for ALL Ducati models as listed

HOW TO REGISTER / PROGRAM NEW KEYS INTO YOUR DUCATI:
    Please note that in order for you to "Self Program" or "Register" a new coded key into your immobilizer system you'll need to have either your RED key (models that use the RED master key system) or the "Electronic Code" from your Code card. No other way of Self Programming or Registering is possible. For more information and clarification of BLANK vs CODED (Keys-by-Code) keys please read the "Duc-101" Section of this site.

REGISTERING (PROGRAMMING) KEYS USING RED MASTER KEY:
    Models with Marelli and Digitek "Dial" type dashes
    ( 749, 999, Monster 620, 700, 800, 800ie, 820, 900, 1000, S2R, S4R, S4Rs, Multistrada, Sport Classic, Super Sport, ALL Red Master Key Models )
    NOTE: You MUST have a minimum of 3 keys (1 RED, 2 BLACK) to complete the programming process. (Black keys cannot be copies of each other)
    NOTE: Each step MUST be completed within 15 seconds of each other.

1- Ignition ON and OFF with RED KEY (within 3 seconds)
    2- Ignition ON with BLACK KEY #1
    Dash should display "2" and start a count down from 30
    Turn OFF ignition before countdown reaches 0
    3- Ignition ON with BLACK KEY #2
    Dash should display "3" and start a count down from 30
    4- Repeat with any additional keys (Up to five(5)
    5- Ignition ON with RED KEY (This closes your programming session)
    Dash should display "4" (if using two(2) BLACK keys)
    A count down from 30 starts
    6- Ignition ON with RED KEY again
    If programming is successful dash will display "ON" ( You're ready to ride )
    OR
    If programming has failed dash will display "OFF" or count down from 30 starts
    If so, go back and start over

ECU / IMMOBILIZER SELF TEST:
    ONLY for models using the RED MASTER KEY
    We often get asked a lot of questions about the ECU and immobilizer built into Ducati motorcycles, and they do seem to reset themselves from time to time, especially if the battery drains for any length of time. Symptoms are typically that you can no longer start the bike using your normal key(s).

Luckily, the 5.9M ECU has some self-diagnostic checks built in which you can perform with the Red key supplied with your motorcycle. Note that later Ducati motorcycles such as the 1098, Streetfighter, Hypermotard, etc, did not come with a Red Key so this method CANNOT be used.

CHECKING FOR CORRECT IMMOBILIZER PROGRAMMING:
    You can check the immobilizer for correct programming as follows:
    1. insert the Red key into the key operated ignition switch
    2. turn the switch to the "On" position.
    The LED will now perform a series of flashing sequences with a short pause in-between:

FIRST SEQUENCE:

The LED flashes once. Duration indicates whether the immobilizer is blank or has been programmed. A 2-second pulse indicates a blank immobilizer (this occurs when one step of the programming procedure has not been performed within the specified time limit). The procedure will have to repeated.

SECOND SEQUENCE:
    The LED flashes quickly (0.7 seconds pulses) and repeatedly to indicate how many keys have been stored. When programming is correct, the LED will flash three times.

THIRD SEQUENCE:
    This sequence indicates a system fault:
    If the system is OK, the LED stays off.
    the LED flashes once to indicate that the serial connection is missing (this is the direct connection - through the main wiring - between engine control unit and immobilizer control unit in the instrument panel);
    the LED flashes twice to indicate that the key in the switch, or the immobilizer antenna, or both, are faulty;
    the LED flashes three times to indicate that the system does not recognize the key you have inserted;
    the LED flashes four times to indicate that the engine control unit has been programmed, but the immobilizer is blank.
    In either case, the engine will not start.

FOURTH SEQUENCE:
    the LED stays off if engine ignition is enabled;
    the LED comes on and stays on if engine ignition is inhibited.

REGISTERING (PROGRAMMING) KEYS USING ELECTRONIC CODE:
    Models with Digitek dashes ( 848, 1098, 1198, Monster 659, 696, 795, 796, 1100 )
    NOTE: You MUST have your Electronic Code and a minimum of 2 BLACK keys to complete the programming process. (Black keys cannot be copies of each other).

1- Press and hold "MODE" button on left grip UP, while holding turn Ignition ON (With any key)
    2- Dash should now display "CODE"
    3- Hold the "MODE" button DOWN until the first digit flashes on the display
    4- Press the "MODE" button DOWN until the first digit of your Electronic Code is displayed
    5- Press the "MODE" button UP to move to the next digit
    6- Press the "MODE" button DOWN until the correct second digit is displayed
    7- Repeat this process until all 5 digits of the Electronic Code have been entered
    8- Press the "MODE" button UP if all 5 digits are correct
    "PRGM" will flash on dash if code was entered correctly
    If code was entered INCORRECTLY display will flash “00000” and you must start over
    9- The bike is now in programming mode and will accept ONLY the next two(2) keys
    10- Turn ignition OFF and remove key
    11- Turn ignition ON and OFF with KEY #1 within 3 seconds
    12- Turn ignition ON and OFF with KEY #2 within 3 seconds
    13- Turn ignition ON and OFF with KEY #2 AGAIN ( This will end programming sequence )

REGISTERING (PROGRAMMING) KEYS USING ELECTRONIC CODE:
    Models with MAE brand dashes ( Streetfighter, Hypermotard )
    NOTE: You MUST have your Electronic Code and 2 BLACK keys to complete the programming process. (Black keys cannot be copies of each other).

1- Press and hold "MODE" button on left grip UP, while holding turn Ignition ON (With any key)
    2- Dash should now display "PRO 00000"
    ( If not, use "MODE" button UP/DOWN until “PRO 00000” is displayed )
    3- Hold the "MODE" button DOWN until the first digit flashes on the display
    4- Press the "MODE" button DOWN until the first digit of your Electronic Code is displayed
    6- Press the "MODE" button DOWN until the correct second digit is displayed
    7- Repeat this process until all 5 digits of the Electronic Code have been entered
    8- Press UP to confirm all 5 digits are correct
    If code was entered correctly "PRO" will flash on dash
    If code was entered INCORRECTLY display will flash “00000” Must start over
    9- The bike is now in programming mode and will accept ONLY the next two(2) keys
    10- Turn ignition OFF and remove key
    11- Turn ignition ON and OFF with KEY #1 within 3 seconds and remove
    12- Turn ignition ON and OFF with KEY #2 within 3 seconds and remove
    13- Turn ignition ON with KEY #2 AGAIN
    If the procedure was successful, the Dashboard will display "PROG" fixed for 3 seconds and then go back to normal display.
    14- Key OFF (This will end programming sequence)

NOTE:

If either the 3-second countdown after Key-On, the 15-second countdown after Key-Off reach zero or if programming procedure, sequence or timing is incorrect, the Dashboard aborts the programming and will display "OFF" for 3 seconds and then go back to normal display.
    You must start all over.

HOW TO OVERRIDE THE IMMOBILIZER ON YOUR DUCATI:
    Please note that in order for you to be able to override the immobilizer you'll need to have either your RED key (models that use the RED master key system) or the "Electronic Code" from your Code card. No other way of overriding the immobilizer system is possible. For more information and clarification of immobilizer and code recovery please read the "Service-101" Section of this site.

MODELS USING RED KEY:
    Models with Marelli and Digitek "Dial" type dashes
    ( 749, 999, Monster 620, 700, 800, 800ie, 900, 1000, S2R, S4R, S4Rs, Multistrada, Sport Classic, Super Sport )
    1- RED Key ON
    2- Fully OPEN throttle and HOLD
    3- EOBD* light will turn OFF after 8 seconds
    4- RELEASE throttle
    5- EOBD* light starts to flash
    6- Count flashes
    7- After the light flashes equal to the first digit of your Electronic Code OPEN throttle
    8- EOBD* light comes ON for 4 seconds and then turns OFF **
    9- When EOBD* light turns OFF, RELEASE throttle
    10- Repeat steps 7-9 for the remaining 4 digits of the Electronic Code
    11- IF all 5 digits are entered correctly, the EOBD* light will flash rapidly
    12- Press starter button to start bike

** NOTE: If you enter a wrong number, the EOBD light will flash 20 times
    and you will need to start over from step 1

* EOBD = European On-Board Diagnostics / Check Engine / Neutral Light

MODELS USING ELECTRONIC CODE / CODE CARD:
    Models with Digitek dashes ( 848, 1098, 1198, Monster 659, 696, 795, 796, 1100 )
    1- Turn ignition ON
    2- Push "MODE" button UP on LEFT grip until "CODE" appears **
    3- Hold the "MODE" button DOWN until the first digit flashes on the dash
    4- Press the "MODE" button repeatedly until the first digit of your code card is displayed
    6- Press the "MODE" button DOWN until the second digit flashes on the dash
    7- Repeat process until all 5 digits of the Electronic Code have been entered
    8- Press the "MODE" button UP if all 5 digits are correct, "CODE" will flash
    9- You can now start bike

** NOTE: The "CODE" option will ONLY display if there is an immobilizer error.
    After override, the immobilizer will be disabled until you turn ignition off.

NO SELF / DIY Key Registering (Programming) is possible for these models.
    Diavel & Multistrada MTS-1200 (with Hands-Free ignition)
    Hyperstrada
    Panigale 899/959/1099/1199/1299
    Monster M821 and M1200
    Scrambler
    Keys MUST be programmed by a dealer or a shop with the DDS computer

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. Thats is a bit long winded but looks like the correct info thanks Chris, that sounds like I would need two new black keys and then use the red key to program them?

9. What happens if you don't have a RED key?
    Can Ducati make you one?
    If YES how much?
    Can you get spare keys for your 999 if it doesn't have a RED key?

10. Update
    I've been told (Snells) that it could cost about £3000 as the ECU and Dash have to be changed.
    I assume that so long as I have a working key I'm ok, until I loose it?

11. I am pretty sure you can get the immobiliser switched off for somewhere round £150 then you just need a copy of thd key without a transponder

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. I think this has already been done for the bike I'm looking at.

13. You wont need a red key then happy days

• Like Like x 1
  14. Or you could change the clock the ecu and locks sets go for around £300-500 I think

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Snells inform me that it's the wrong side of £3000 for a 2003 999

16. There’s a place in Holland that can produce a red key if you send them your dash and a black key to copy.

• Useful Useful x 2
  17. Can’t you have someone log into your ecu and switch off the immobiliser?

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Yep you can do that as well

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. I’m so glad all that Red key business doesn’t exist anymore..My 999R came with no Red key from dealer! Part of the deal was they would supply one.... Yeah right that never happened. Think they were shocked when they found out the price that was involved... Bloody criminal!!

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information