1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

916 Refilling Coolant

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by ChrisDS, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Just installed some Samco hoses and added my Motul Motocool coolant.

Managed to get 2.8 litres in before filling up the expansion bottle. Squeezed all the hoses as I added the coolant, and tilted the bike to the left and right by as much as I dared (45° or so) to 'burp' the system, but nothing happened and the expansion bottle is still at 'max'.

The other burping technique I read about was to lift the front up by 3ft or so, but I don't have the facilities to do this.

Any suggestions on how I get the other 0.6 litres or so into the system?

2. I'd be inclined to start her up and let it circulate a bit.
    Steve

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Same as what happens when you bleed the brake hoses... go out for a blast and any remaining air bubbles should make their way up.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Thanks, I'll give it a try.

My reticence about running the engine was the possibility of the air being in and around the vertical cylinder head. Seems the logical place for it to be hiding.

5. I think there's a small diameter pipe that runs from the vertical head to the left side of the header tank, that should let the air clear from there.
    Steve

6. Maybe the other 0.6L didn't come out when you changed your hoses.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Quite possibly but I have completely emptied my 916 engine of both oil and coolant (engine was apart and so known to be absolutely empty) and yet it still wouldn't quite take the quantities that they claim.

Fill it, burp it, run it, ride it etc. and then fill again, as long as it's full it'll be good, if you overfill it'll spew into the overflow tank so no harm done anyway.

8. I would think that any air that could possibly be left in the system would come out the first time the thermostat opens properly.

How much coolant did you get out?

9. I'd be surprised if much, if any, water was left in the system. After removing all the hoses I tilted the bike back and forth until no more drips came out.

10. Unfortunately I didn't measure what came out. I did catch it all in a bucket but then used de-ironized water a couple of times to flush the system out.

11. I'm just waiting for a bit from Ducati and then I will fire it up and see how the coolant level goes.

12. Went out for a blast today. Only needed to add a little coolant afterwards and no leaks even when running hot through town. I'm happy.

• Like Like x 3
Do Not Sell My Personal Information