1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 Refitting Side Stand

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by NeilH, Oct 4, 2020.

1. Okay - another slightly daft question!
    When refitting the side stand I assume you tighten the bolt until the stand is still moving freely with no free play? I used Loctite blue threadlock.
    When I then come to attach the side-stand cut out switch, tightening that bolt further tightens the side stand. I'm not sure I can fit a spanner onto the side stand bolt (although I might have one of those thin cycle universal thingies that might squeeze in the gap). Or if I wait for the thread lock to set will the main bolt stay put when I tighten the switch bolt.

Thanks
    Neil
    :)
    ps managed to remove all the screws from both air boxes to check the filters - only one fly in each which I assume means they don't need replacing?!

2. I'm a little confused, mine only has 2 bolts to secure it to the crankcase, neither of which affect the movement of the side stand - admittedly its a 99MY so suicide stand and no cut out switch - I just torqued them to correct amount.

IMG_1649.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Do you know how old the filters are? They have a habit of breaking down after a number of years then they crumble and get sucked into the engine. They're not expensive so it's always worth replacing them as per the service schedule, or even if its a new to you bike and you're unsure.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Thanks Paul,
    No not the two bolts that attach the bracket to the crankcase. it is the bolt that attaches the lever to the bracket. On mine the switch then bolts on top of that.
    Cheers
    Neil

• Like Like x 1
  5. Thanks Paul,
    I'll order a new set.
    Cheers
    Neil

6. Torque the 2 bolts that attach the bracket to the engine case this doesn't affect the stand but needs to be tight to avoid damage. Blue locktite is good.
    Then the bolt that holds stand to bracket should be tight and the stand will work normally. I use a little oil or light grease.
    If you have a switch the retaining screw screws into this bolt.
    Good luck

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Thanks , I've tried tightening up the switch bolt and it doesn't seem to be tightening the main bolt so hopefully all good. Will keep an eye on it.
    DSC_3775.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  8. Surely it's best to dump the switch altogether? Just an unnecessary point of failure.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. There should be a locknut on the back of the stand. Fitting the switch should have no bearing on the stand movement. Tighten the pivot bolt down, then hold it in place and tighten the locknut on the back. Fitting the switch is just a case of lining up the tang in the stand cutout and nipping up the centre screw.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Thanks, I did think a lock nut would be the answer - get the side tightened just right, lock with locknut and then you can tighten up the switch without affecting the main bolt.
    Thank you! :)

11. I have found a nut (nylock no less) that fits the bolt :)
    DSC_3777.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  12. Not a daft question sir, I had a similar problem when I took my stand off, I just made a judgement call to tighten and stop just before the point it becomes too tight to spring back nicely if that makes sense.

+1 on changing the air filters, on visual inspection mine looked clean, I breathed on one and it disintegrated before my very eyes.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Hi Neil,

My take on this side stand locknut is that it should have a specific groove allowing the stand to fully deploy.

ECEDDC81-F5A7-441A-8493-AF9988210068.jpeg

C744CBBA-A7AF-4678-B4C3-5C54ECAB89B6.jpeg

If not, the little curvy tab that holds the springs and is supposed to wrap itself around the locknut when said stand is fully deployed, will bump into a normal locknut, and prevent your stand to stay fully opened.

56D75254-D565-4D70-A675-D281967AC52E.jpeg

Haven’t you noticed it will not stay fully extended with this bolt? Just enough to get the bike on its side, if you are not careful.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Thanks, that's really helpful. I did notice it hit the spring bracket but does extend - but not as far as it would if it didn't catch. I've ordered the proper nut (titanium no less) which should solve the issue.
    Thanks again!
    Neil
    :):upyeah:

15. All sorted - thanks to @Guillaume69 and everyone else!
    Thought it might be helpful for anyone searching in the future to take a photo of the components
    DSC_4002s.jpg DSC_4004s.jpg

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information