1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Reflecting On 2 Years And 16500 Miles Of Ownership.

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Rainman, Feb 1, 2018.

1. I'll be honest, I don't normally keep bikes this long. I throw the miles on pretty quickly and so I've tended to chop and change quite a bit as I can't help but think there is a stigma attached to some bikes once they hit 5 figure mileage numbers.

So after two years, today is my last day with my DVT. When I first got it I was a little disappointed with the lack of low-down tractability from the engine, but with each visit to the dealer this has diminished due to what I can only put down to the ECU routinely being re-flashed on each occassion. Only this morning on my ride into work I was looking at the RPMs as I dug myself out of a corner with heavy throttle from 2000 RPMs and recalling how I couldn't do that when it was new without the mechanical lurching, coughing and spluttering. There's no hint of that at all now. The engine, right now, is an absolute peach.

It's never let me down and been completely dependable, which was something I was quite concerned about after coming back to the Ducati brand since owning a 916 years ago ... which was anything but dependable. We've had a couple of issues, but nothing that wouldn't beset another bike. Fork seals went at about 4000 miles and other than that we've had the obligatory exhaust valve issue. I had one exhaust mid-section replaced under warranty, but the second unit went exactly the same way after 3000 miles and so a Duc-EE was fitted for about £30 and I never looked back. In fact the Duc-EE was something that I should have done anyway, as it definitely improved the low-down grunt and gave it a proper twin exhaust note.

In readiness of going back to the dealer I gave her a good spruce up, with a bit more attention to detail than I otherwise would. I stood back and looked at her and thought "she's bloody perfect, why am I doing this?" I'll admit to have considered - more than once - not changing bikes at all, as it's a lot of money for what appears to be not a huge amount of difference, but we shall see. I'd always stated at the outset that I would keep it for two years on it's lease and then change it but at the moment I honestly can't find fault with my DVT. I shouldn't wish such things, but at least if it was giving me an issue in any department then it would ease my conscience somewhat.

#1 Rainman, Feb 1, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. What have you traded in for?

3. Went through exactly the same this week, and even had an offer for mine from a gent on here, but have decided to throw news tyres at it, put a nice new spangly chain on and keep it. But, Good luck with the new 1260.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. I had very similar thoughts last Friday as I parted with my 11 plate Mut.
    I loved that bike as it did everything I wanted without dressing up like a race track hero.
    Something I had previously been doing since I gave up racing in the 90's & after my R1 decided to part company in a near life ending fashion.!

I picked up my 17 plate DVT last Friday. An ex demonstrator with 490 miles on it.
    If it's half as good, as what I had, then I'll still be happy.

Now I'm off to tinker with it....

Isn't that what it's all about...? :motorcycleduc::motorcycleduc::motorcycleduc:

• Like Like x 3
  5. 1260S Touring - a like for like swap, even the same colour in white.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Nice, pictures, bins and review anticipated!

7. Just over two years with my Dvt ( non S model ) I’m not one to keep bikes long, 18 months max, although I’ve had my Honda Sp1 just over 3 years, but that’s another story
    Totally agree that the ecu flash carried out at the first service absolutely transformed the Bike, it’s just a powerhouse right through the rev range, With the Arrow decat & can it sounds the mutts, yes it’s had the fuel sender changed, front disc rotars are rusty( common aparantly) & is now due a water hose, but it’s no big deal,it does everything so bloody well ! It gives my medeocre fast road riding the thrill i need, or it carries me & er’ indoors in complete comfort, why would i change it!? I bloody love it !

• Like Like x 1
  8. I have had three 1200's: A second-hand 2010, a new 2013, and now a second-owner 2015. I put about 7k on each of them each year, and despite a few niggles (and a major one with the 2010) I have been thrilled with those bikes.
    I can't see past another Multi so I'd like to change up purely to get the safety blanket of a Warranty as my DVT's ran out last October. My problem now is people like Rainman and others above who have chopped their bikes in and depressed the trade-in value of mine!:mad: I'll probably end up like Wayne and keep it and keep the rather large cost-to-change in my pocket.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Thanks for the very interesting observations from those of us (me) plotting to get a Multi 1200S DVT.

10. Test the base model ( non skyhook ) against the S if you can, I did & couldnt justify the extra outlay for the S, and I regularly ( fair weather ) ride with a pillion.

11. Sorry justatad, I found the opposite to be honest, and thought against sky hook, it felt a bit like uncontrolled pogo sticks. I guess it would work much better following a set up, but straight out of the crate, sky hook every time imo.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. I tested the base model and S DVT back to back and was sold on the S immediately. Nicer dash, easier to see the change in modes and just better suspension. And to be able to change suspension settings on the move at the touch of a button - simply brilliant!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Having got the DVT on a 16 plate with 1200 miles I am well chuffed, have the touring version S with skyhook and can’t beleive how good it is.

So much so I am seriously contemplating on a new one in April, how anybody lives without skyhook I don’t know

14. My 2017 S was transformed after its first service. I guess mine was reflashed too :) totally happy with it . What’s the Duc EE ?

15. it's a device that makes the bike think all is well with the seizing exhaust flapper.... .Just drill the bugger out, even easier :upyeah:

16. How do you do that ? And I suppose that will affect warranty . What effects does the flapper have ?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Read 5 posts back :)

18. ??? I said what the duc ee does? ?

19. I was replying to someone else who asked the question. They must have deleted it ?

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information