1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Refreshing A Monster 696.

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by P1505C, Aug 27, 2018.

1. My Monster 696 will be ten years old soon. The bike is a keeper, my favourite bike. And so I think it deserves some love.

I won’t be doing anything radical to it, just a tear down and clean. Anything nasty will be replaced, anything I don’t like will be upgraded.

Here it is on day one.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  2. Everything is being bagged and labelled as I go.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  3. Panels off first.

[​IMG]

4. Wasn’t thinking about these but they were a steal.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Not sure how far you are going with this project but take many,many photographs or you might just get lost on the rebuild:thinkingface::upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  6. However, these were on the list of bits from day one.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  7. I’m going from front to back, starting with new bars and master cylinders. So off come the callipers for a clean and new seals.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  8. Tank off. Allows me to clean generally dusty bits.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  9. I had a 696, brilliant bike & really wish I kept it now!

10. Out of every bike I’ve owned (long list) it’s the most fun. I have the 1199s also, but the 696 is the one I ride most.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Woke up with a hangover and lots of stuff ordered when drunk. Mostly Teng tools and titanium stuff. Oh dear.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Nice plan and project. Looking forward to more posts of it....

Regards,
    RogerG

13. Rebuilt the front callipers. Titanium pins, new seals, clips, pads.

[​IMG]

Now waiting for parts and tools. Next up the front comesxapart and the rear shock comes out to be sent off for a service and re-coating. To do that I need a 28mm socket for the slim bolt, so ordered that today.

Service on those parts will take 8-12 weeks, so I’ll fill the time going towards the back noting every bolt that needs replacing, and polishing everything else. 150 micro fibre cloths arrived today :)

• Like Like x 2
  14. Question: is it ok to rest the bike on the engine while the suspension is off? Or is a block of wood between the swing arm and the subframe a better option?

15. Cans off.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Question for you all - rear shock. Service and re-finish it with new bits and soda blasting...

or buy a new shock? The service etc will cost £280 plus £30 carriage. Not a huge amount more will get me a shiny new thing. If I can find a UK supplier, otherwise it’ll be double the cost (import duty).

17. Interesting question. Has anyone on here taken a rear shock apart and rebuilt it minus corrosion? It's a Showa on my 748.

18. Decided to spend the money and get the new one.

• Like Like x 1
  19. What did you buy?

• Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information