1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

V4 Registering A Motorcycle After Purchase From A Dealer

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by Topolino, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Does anyone know the process involved in purchasing a new motorcycle from a dealer and insuring it on the VIN number alone. I am probably going to delay taking delivery of my V4 until the winter and intend on stripping it down, to paint the frame and suspension components plus fit a host of other after market parts and carry out several mods, that way I don't eat into valuable riding time by performing this work over the colder months and into the early part of next year. Consequently I would prefer to register in it March 2019 when it is eventually ready for the road, as opposed to putting it straight onto a 18 plate when I collect it from the dealer. I will also get one more riding season's use out of the 1299S before I trade it in. They are saying they will have to register the V4 at the time of purchase. Is this strictly correct as I have known others who have purchased bikes and insured them on the VIN number until they decided to register them.

2. Afaik you would not be able to declare it new when you reg it in March .
    Yes you can buy bikes unregistered from dealers but they are usually for racing and the frame nos go on manufacturers system so no warranty ...
    ( my experience any how with Yamaha )

3. I've done it a few times. My cbr sp2 was insured on vin without registering for couple of months. However insurance pestered wanting to get it registered.

4. Ah OK. I thought it was possible to register them as a new vehicle, within a reasonable time frame from purchase. In my case six months.

5. Did you manage to register it as new? The aim here was to put it onto a 19 plate in March 2019 but purchase it around Sept/Oct time 2018

6. I'm probably talking nonsense but surely this would not be encouraged, if not actively discouraged. Otherwise you could get loads of older model bikes/cars registered as new in the same production period as an updated model?

7. I don't get the logic. Why don't you want to buy it run it in then when winter comes strip it
    How will your plan affect the Warranty?
    It appears to me that Ducati (andMV more so) get the owners to do the real world testing and the warranty is a valuable commodity

8. 99% sure the dealer has to register it upon releasing it. Whether it's legal or Ducati rules? There's some new rulings coming through, maybe already in place that ties them up even more. Not sure, don't get involved with that bit... The warranty will certainly start when it rolls out of the dealers for sure.

9. If I had just bought a new bike I couldn't wait until the following year to ride it, lifes too short.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. I was not planning on running it before stripping it. I was planning on running the 1299 this summer, trading that in later this year, then purchasing the V4. The idea was to mitigate any depreciation owing to the time spent with the new bike disassembled over the Winter and register it when the work was done. The alternative would be to buy the bike and register it in March 2019, strip it then ride it but I was merely trying to avoid doing the work over the riding season. The extent to which I commonly strip bikes down means the bike will be off the road for at least two months maybe three.

11. I'm more patient than most

• Like Like x 1
  12. Thanks for all your replies. I think I will probably go down the same route as the 1299S. Namely purchase the V4 towards the end of the year and register it on an 18 plate, then strip it down over the Winter 2018/Early 2019 to be ready for March next year. I'll just have to swallow the few months depreciation. I don't want to be undertaking this scale of project when I could be riding it, hence the timings. I will as a consequence have a plethora of V2 Panigale very trick goodies for sale, which be available through my website.

• Like Like x 1
  13. It's not easy to follow what you are saying here, but apparently when you eventually sell the bike you intend to induce the buyer to pay a higher price for it by claiming it to be a 2019 bike when it was actually manufactured in 2018. That seems to be what you mean by "mitigate any depreciation". Unless there is some other explanation ...

14. You're erroneously inferring there is some sort of deception going on. The VIN will always show the actual date of manufacture regardless of when it is registered. Many bikes purchased in March of any given year may very well have been produced the year before, despite the fact they will be registered in the current year. It's not uncommon, for example, for a car to be sold that came off a production line several months before it hits a dealership and is eventually sold, that might very well tip it over into the next registration sequence (March or August). I always trade my bikes in to my local dealer who knows exactly the history of the bike in question. The idea of mitigating depreciation is more the appeal of buying a bike on a newer plate (despite it being produced the year before) than one registered the year before and produced at a similar time. The appearance of a newer vehicle (albeit from a registration alone) is a surprisingly attractive characteristic to some potential buyers, assuming a like for like comparison with a similar model in similar condition with similar mileage and of similar actual age. That in some instances can warrant increasing the asking price. Most of my bikes are sold with less than 5000 miles on them so in the grand scheme of things it makes little odds. I simply originally posed the question of registration, to defer putting the bike on a 18 plate when I knew I would not be riding it until around the time the 19 plates came into force. I dont want to wait until March 2019 to purchase the bike as it will then be off the road until at least June which is when I could otherwise be riding it. Without exception, I always carry out projects such as these over the Winter as it has no impact on my usage of the bike.

#14 Topolino, Mar 7, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  15. Why not leave this bike to be collected by someone else and ask the dealer to sale you a bike in January?
    Or just buy the bike ride in the summer, then do the mods durring the winter...you might even like it so much that you will sell your 1299 straight away.
    Am I missing something here?

16. Hi topo. Please can you give me the link to your web site. Decided to keep my v2 pani so looking at throughing some goodies on it.
    Cheers
    James

17. Topolino,

Out of interest, do you know what Ducati's (or any other manufacturer's) position would be on any warranty claim for a fault which occurred during the warranty period on a bike which had been stripped down to frame level and then rebuilt by it's owner, especially something that may be difficult to find root cause, such as the failure of an electronic component?.

Mr Bimble.

18. To be honest I have never let it bother me before and I have stripped and rebuilt the last three bikes to that extent with no problems whatsoever. I am exceptionally meticulous and arguably the bike ends up being rebuilt to the same if not a better satndard than when it came off the production line

19. It's in my signature

• Like Like x 1
  20. Just be careful you don't end up being in a situation like the MV Dealer who was selling bikes and not registering them and therefore not paying MV on release of the bike to the customer. That whole situation got very nasty......

Do Not Sell My Personal Information