1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

848 Regulator / Rectifier soloution

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Hutch, Apr 12, 2014.

1. Thought I'd share what I've done to the bike today.... Original Ducati reg rec died last season & I went with the R1 mosfet / Triumph loom modification... Installed it where the original rec lived but its a concern that even though the Mosfet runs a LOT cooler its still not an inspired choice by Bologna to put it next to the downpipe... So... Where to put it? I've seen a few idea's but I've chosen somewhere I've not seen before (I think)... Anyway, ChrisW has already flashed my ECU to DP & in doing so disabled the exup motor... & thats where the rec has gone...
    20140412_165640.jpg

Copper plate from Ebay.. Go for 100mm / 100mm

1.2 mm 18 SWG Copper Sheet / Plate See Size Variations Precision Guillotine Cut | eBay

Screwed into the exup motor holes & the Triumph loom needed extending by a foot.. Remember to use the same gauge wire & pass it through the frame past the expansion tank..

It all fits nice (proof below) & I'm happier knowing the reg is cooler

20140412_174839.jpg

• Like Like x 7
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. ......:upyeah:

red spacer (?) on the hub looks well :cool:

3. Cheers bud, not overly confident it will stand up to the abuse of wheel removal though... The alloy is quite soft & more looks than fuctional

4. Good solution and the pics are a really good quality :)

5. Inspired. :Wideyed:

6. I went with copper as it still conducts well & it was cheap enough... The mosfet runs a hell of a lot cooler anyway so coppers more than sufficient... As for keeping it in the fairing where it sits now still has much better airflow & its invisible plus I wanted to extend the loom as little as possible to avoid electric resistance in the wiring.... Funny.. I was at BSD yesterday getting her belts done & a custom map for the ECU... Spotted this 675 below.. Seems the italian bikes are not the only ones suffering the issue.. Not the tidiest soloution though..
    20140417_095257.jpg

#6 Hutch, Apr 18, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  7. Cheers Matt... taken with my Galaxy S4 too.. Ive got about 2k's worth of Canon upstairs & some of my best photos are taken with the phone!!

• Like Like x 1
  8. The Daytona 675 was subject of a Worldwide recall for the R/R. Triumph supplied the better Mosfet ECU, a mounting bracket and wiring loom (fitted free). Looks like this bike has slipped through the recall.

• Like Like x 2
  9. I see..At least Triumph acknowledged the issue & dealt with it correctly... A heatshield & rec check recall imo is not enough.. The components used are just not up to the job

• Like Like x 1
  10. The 2009 triumph daytona moved the reg rec up to in the right hand air gap by the radiator. Previously it was down on the back of the engine case by the rear shock which is stupid! My bike did 5k miles not missing a beat. The placement on the 848 is truly shocking! With no fairing I can barely see my reg/rec, it must just get cooker

11. Have just got my mosfet reg through the post and am trying to decide where to relocate it to.

Has anyone put it anywhere other than the above? How hot do they get, would it be ok to put it under the seat, and use cable ties through the bolt holes rather than bolting it anywhere?

12. They don't overheat because they have a thermal cutout to protect it, it shuts down when to hot and cuts back in when safe. 2013-10-26 08.37.51.jpg Mine is here. 2013-10-05 08.44.16.jpg Steve

• Like Like x 1
  13. My leads aren't as long as that unfortunately but it would go nicely under the seat. Before cutting out how hot do they get though? Would they melt plastic they touch?

14. Mosfet run really cool compared to standard, can touch it easily by hand .. done the similar mod on my aprilia

15. Anyone got a link to the extra cable harness required please

• Like Like x 1
  16. I got a rectifier already, left over from my last bike, so i just need the harness really

17. Thankyou @Hutch

I believe either Copper of Aluminum would work well, if it requires as a sink, electrical or thermal. Aluminum may be marginally lighter but that's about it

The only thing I'd do is mount it 90 degrees to your installation so as the fins get better air flow. May be entirely unnecessary but if they are there why not take advantage of them

John

18. I found it really hard finding somewhere to relocate the new r/r to, and ended up putting it under the seat. If anyone has a better solution then i'm all ears. Stumped me if i'm honest.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information