1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 Removal Flywheel Pre 99 Models Single Phase

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Chris.King1, Jul 15, 2020.

1. Has anybody removed their flywheel on the single phase set up? I have heard you can do away with the flywheel altogether. The timing pickup is on the idler gear, not on the flywheel, and the stator is on the inside of the flywheel and wiring around that mounted to the crankcase. So Im guessing the flywheel more of a harmonic balancer.

To me running without just doesn't feel right, I see MPL, Nichols (who wont sell you one if you have the pre 99 set up, as they said you can just remove it), etc do a lightweight version. Would have thought cold starts be a bit lumpy and stalling issues, certainly if not upto temperature. Guessing tickover may need to be upped. Doesn't seem that appealing now I have re-read what I have written.

But anyhow, if anyone running with no or lightened one, be good to hear from.

2. I haven’t had one for over 10yrs now, I am running 853 though. Tick over up slightly and all is good. Spins up and down super quick.

3. When I had my 748, I tried the no flywheel route and couldn’t get on with it. I had to raise the idle speed and it just didn’t “feel” happy. That was on a balanced motor to. I ended up fitting an alloy flywheel and that hit the sweet spot. It was an alloy copy of the original. I don’t recall it having a make as such

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Get yours lightened, theres over a kilo to be lost quite happily and still be streetable :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Think I will always keep a flywheel, sounds like getting it lightened may be the way to go. Any recommendations as to who can do this? or could look locally.

6. Stalling and idling is the issue

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. @final_edition probably could

• Like Like x 1
  8. Don’t know about norfolk Chris, but you could always send it to Andrews Precision - if they’re good enough for Rich Llewellyn...

https://andrewsprecision.co.uk/

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. If you send the flywheel and splined centre, I'll have a crack at it.

• Like Like x 3
  10. I've just had my one done...
    steel.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  11. I have a light alloy flywheel in my 853 and have no problems with tick-over or stalling, once in a blue moon when I come to a sudden stop from high revs it might stall but I am aware of this and just feather the throttle a little and it prevents it.
    Steve

• Like Like x 1
  12. I've got one on my 916, think it was from 'MPL' in Germany - basically an ally version of the original, spins up nicely and no extra tendency to stall (OK, maybe a little when cold?).

Plus you get to keep the timing marks too if you don't junk the flywheel completely.

13. I might have the piece of paper with the weights of the gears and f/w that were lightened written down in the garage. I'll have a look tomorrow.

• Like Like x 1
  14. The standard f/w was 1870 grms .. I was offered one that was 745 grms but the mounting boss was different.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information