1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1199 Removal Of Steering Head Bearings

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by Spud312r, Oct 7, 2018.

1. I have the steering head stem removed and now want to remove the bearing cups from the upper and lower ally frame stearing head inserts.

I have bearing removal tools/puller that normally expand just behind a bearing rear surface, but the panni's bearing sit so flush i cant get anything behing them to pull them and cant push them out with a punch from the other side either .

Anybody been able to do this with out destroying the alloy head inserts. ?

upload_2018-10-7_18-0-16.png

2. Give Carl Harrison Motorcycles a ring (01379 852020). He's done it twice on my 1199 and 1299 when I removed the frame for Cerakoting and had him remove the steering bearing inserts. He also replaced them after. I know he heated up the frame first, but as to what tools or technique he used, you best ask him. He is closed tomorrow (Mondays) but is open Tue-Sat.

3. Cheers Fella
    Just changing the upper/lower head plates to 1199R to reduce rake by .5deg , i wil get new bearings/seals i think for the new plates - make it easier to swap back if i dont like it.

The main challenge now is the removal of the bottom bearing case on the steering stem , again i cant get anything behind it to push/pull - crazy design..
    I'm wondering if you have to push the steering stem out of the lower yoke to get it of, its defo not in the workshop manual.

4. Easiest way is to cut through the race with a dremel and grinding wheel. Just deep enough to split the race and slide or prise it off but not so deep that you go through to the stem. When you come to replace it with a new one, place the bottom yoke/stem assembly into the freezer and heat up the new race in the oven for 10 mins. You will need to fashion an aluminium punch or drive to then fit it onto the stem but you will need to work quickly.

5. Cheers fella

The old one was removed with a puch and wd40 ;-)

I will defo put lower yoke in freezer to help put new race on + wd40

6. Can anybody confirm which way round the 1199R plates go into the frame - been looking for a 1199R workshop manual but cant find one easily..

These are teh parts ordered fromMoto Rapido an don invoice it states..

75610361AA part ordered
    STEERING BUSH OPTION 1199R/899
    24.5 deg 5MM = L MARKING ON RIGHT
    23.5 DEG -5MM = L MARKEING ON LEFT

So i am assuming....sitting on bike facing forward..

Top plate goes with "L" to the left which would move the top yoke forward 5mm

Now for the bottom plate ...

If you flipp the part upside down with the "L" still on the left , then the bottom yoke would come backwards the 5mm

Thus giving the 23.5deg rake

upload_2018-10-12_10-49-2.png

7. I think this confirms what i thought ;-) its a 2015 1299s but same principle..

So "L" rermains on left side of bike

upload_2018-10-12_17-5-27.png

upload_2018-10-12_17-5-58.png

upload_2018-10-12_17-6-13.png

• Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information