1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Remove Sprocket Carrier

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Bjohnson, Feb 7, 2019.

1. can someone guide how to remove the sprocket carrier, more specifically removing the sprocket nuts?

Doing my winter deep clean and want to remove and clean the corrosion on these but with the rear wheel off can't get an hex key into the back to hold the bolt and remove the nut.

Thanks

2. You have to take the left axle nut off. Then the sprocket assembly slides off. It is a splined shaft. Then you can get to the backside of the Cush thingys

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thanks. I figured that may have been the case. Likely then that getting that nut off will be just as challenging as getting the wheel nut off !! Maybe I'll just clean up the sprocket nuts in situ

• Like Like x 1
  4. Yep, should be at same torque. Although, when I did my 15k service mine was not as tight as it was supposed to be. Maybe a good time to retighten.

5. i dont see why you cant get the 6 small nuts holding the cush drives to the flange off, flange still in situ if you dont want to undo the big nut, clean them then put them back on....have you tried an impact gun, or removing one at a time?

6. I tried an impact on mine first, because I hadn’t done it before and had to learn. Not one came off. They all spun at different resistances and in the end had I not been taking it off anyway to service the hub, I’d have had loose nuts. Can’t retorque for same reason. Had to be able to hold the Cush screw from the rear. Oh, and that’s a 12mm Allen, which I needed to improvise. Bigger than what I had handy.

7. Worthwhile taking the flange off to clean if you have the gear to get that big nut off plus you can get to the eccentric to give that a good clean and inspect as well. IMO

8. Thanks for the info. I tried to loosen one nut and it spins because I can't get a hex key in the back to hold the bolt. Didn't try any others.

Will have a look at the big nut!!!

9. are you on a std rear sprocket or do you have the renthal style quick change carrier...

reason i ask if the cush drives are that loose in the std sprocket the sprocket can wander and do damage...

10. Thanks. I have standard sprocket carrier. Will try and get the big nut off then i can clean everything and re torque everything

11. Also gives you a chance to check the cush drives themselves because if they delaminate, you will get shavings of your eccentric hub on your rim before you notice anyhting wrong. This happened to me on my Monster last year, thankfully I noticed something was amiss and only had 150 odd km to get back home. 3 of 5 of the little bighters had let go, note that they are also 15yrs old, but my point is, make sure they are in perfect condition before reinstalling them.

• Useful Useful x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information