1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Removing An Engine

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Pavey, Sep 27, 2017.

1. I've decided to get into bike crime as it seems like an easy pay day.

Actually, too old for that. I do need to get the engine out of my 1198 though so do i need to buy a 1 ton hoist (£100 on eBay) or is there a simpler secret way to do it that is easier?

Any tips? Thanks.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  2. Get two pairs of axle stands and a couple of steel bars mate.

Use one pair underneath the front cylinder (either side), and the other pair at the rear of the engine.

Undo the engine mounting bolts and remove the swingarm.

Lift the (now light) bike off of the engine.

3. Ps. Don't suppose you're flogging that engine?

4. Thanks mate, will give that a try. Unfortunately not, i'm taking it to Glen at Moto V to be fixed, but thought i would save myself labour by getting it out myself.

Got nice S4RS engine though, what are you building?

• Like Like x 1
  5. That axle stand thing works a treat - done it tons of times.

Ah need a 1198 spare motor, like a complete twat I sold my spare motor to a geezer on here with a sob story a few weeks ago and regretted it by the time I got back home...

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  6. Shame, they don't seem to come up often do they?

I almost needed a new engine last time i had trouble and was quoted (off the cuff) at around £3k, does that sound right?

7. iirc a new 1198 from Ducati is around 5000e, I don't even wanna write what I sold one to this bloke for but it was almost half of your figure, fkr seemed unhappy too ffs!

• Crap Crap x 1
  8. Jeez. I thought the crap rating was the best for that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. let me know if you need an extra pair of hands to lift it off, your only 30 mins from me.

PS, i'm also pretty handy with an angle grinder!

• Funny Funny x 3
  10. Thanks mate, might well take you up on that.

11. I also have an Abba stand with the SA removal adapters, a car trolley jack and a handy sized railway sleeper if you need to borrow.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. And 2 long lengths of scaffolding poles I use with ratchet straps to hang mine from the rafters (cue screams of horror........).

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. My mind is racing now. :eek: Got any leather gear?

• WTF WTF x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  14. Yep, axle stands work well.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information