1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Removing Rim Tape

Discussion in 'Detailing and cleaning' started by MushHaze, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Folks,

Suggestions please for removing pesky rim tape, given that I burned out the missus' hair dryer after about 5 mins last night??!!

Thanks!

2. Why have you tape on your rim in the first place more to the point :Wideyed:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. oh the rim tape was an "upgrade" by previous owner!!! I think at least worth 5bhp. some pain in ass to get it off.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Maybe someone waxed the rim prior to taping, I've heard that this can cause irritation

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. I get the feeling he's talking about his bike from his last comment :Facepalm:

• Like Like x 1
  6. I feel sure that some confusion has erupted, I think he said in another post that he was planning to lap the 'ring? What has become of this forum

7. Is "rim tape" used with the sack/back/crack male hygiene regime?

8. Seriously, see a doctor. Go private, confidentiality is respected. Don't go squatting over a hairdryer, that's dangerous. Unless you are a trainer hairdresser.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Warm it with a proper heat gun not set too high, when it softens push against the tape with something soft like a piece of wood or plastic spatula and see if it starts to come away and then see if you can pick it off.

A hair dryer is not the best thing to use and also it may not be even hot enough to soften the tape.

10. a hair dryer should get plenty hot enough to do the job, it's only plastic tape.

use wd40 on any residue left after peeling the sticker off.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Lidl heat gun and WD40 for residue. 1 hr per wheel.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information