1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Removing Stick On Carbon

Discussion in 'Detailing and cleaning' started by J biker, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Hoping that underneath the carbon tank protectors is an unmarked petrol tank.

How to safely remove them?

IMG_1553.jpg

2. Try a hot water bottle, filled with boiling water, laid over the pad for about 5 minutes so the adhesive softens to the point the pad can be removed. Hot air guns, if not used with great care, can cause a lot of damage, hair dryers may not get enough heat into the pad

Good luck

#2 Borgo Panigale, Mar 15, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Hot air gun/hairdrier,then very gently lever off.You could also try something like dental floss to cut thru the adhesive stuff.

4. I'd be a bit nervous with a hot air gun close to the petrol cap, anywhere else no problem gently moving over the area to be removed.
    Might be over cautious but that's me.
    Steve

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Fishing line to cut through the glued pad and then thumb roll the rest off

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Wifeys hairdryer is what I usually purloin. Obviously wait until she goes out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. If she goes out,you could always throw some more petrol on her!

• Funny Funny x 6
  8. use white spirit to get any glue residue that is left on tank, with clean cloth. you may have to coat it a few times.

9. There are many sprays available which disolve the glue and do not require any heat or scraping. Of course you should test prior to use on the underside to be certain that the paint is unaffected. Ambersil, Goo Gone or Sticky Stuff are all sprays that I have used, and available on ebay.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/adhesive-remover

• Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  10. I’ve used dental floss in the past
    Fishing line sounds good though - whichever comes to hand :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. So, what a bugger! Tried hair dryer after hot water bottle idea. Bugger all movement.
    Thin fishing line, nope.

Eventually realised they are stuck on with clear silicone. :mad:

Dont EVER put silicone any where near something where you might want to get it off. Hate the stuff, spent years working with it on various jobs.

Worked it out anyway;
    Use a thin membership card to get under the edge, then thin cloth around the card, then thick cloth. Sort of cut with card edge and 'floss' from side to side with strong cloth to work your way through the silicone. Hard work and need to be patient.
    Then once you get the carbon off, your faced with the real hard work. Cleaning off the silicone residue. Only way is to painstakingly pick through it with thumbnails, now got two very sore thumbs and got other IMAG5088.jpg IMAG5088.jpg IMAG5088.jpg side to do (Friday eve?).
    Who ever put these on did not ever intend removing, it would only have needed a fraction of the 'adhesive'.
    Photos...

• Like Like x 1
  12. IMAG5090.jpg IMAG5090.jpg

IMAG5091.jpg

• WTF WTF x 1
  13. IMAG5092.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  14. So, its immaculate underneath, white spots just flash back. Why oh why cover up the iconic part of the bike with tat? :/

Hoping the other side is the same and already happier.:upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Very innovative removal process there, great effort and result!

16. Great stuff, fingers crossed for the other side!

17. im not telling you that you can buy silicone remover, oops, sorry, saw post a bit late :zzz:

18. Used it before and thought not much use. Be reluctant on the tank to use it though.

19. its ok if the silicone is thin, it certainly wouldnt have got the covers off, just cleaned up after.
    My Panigales tank protector was super glued on :mad:

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  20. Finger crossed you don't find the answer to your question :confused: good luck :):upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information