1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Removing The Hand Guard/wiring

Discussion in 'Hypermotard' started by macaroni, Jul 18, 2018.

1. All,

Im wanting to remove my hand guards and replace with normal indicators and replace the plastic guards with alu hand protectors.

Trying to find the connector but without success. The part i found on google shows the connector but when i look at the wiring loom on the OEM spare parts it seems to go straight into the main loom. Unless its under those 2 plastic grommets. Hopefully it not as it looks more than just a 10 min job!

Anyone done this?

Screen Shot 2018-07-18 at 17.24.24.png

Screen Shot 2018-07-18 at 17.32.48.png

2. Those parts you circled are just rubber covers, the connectors you seek are hidden within!

To get to them ...cowl off, 4 screws, headlight out, bit of a struggle. There's a mass of wires tightly packed in there, and if I remember correctly, you need to cut some zip ties to move some of the connector blocks to access some hidden screws to fully access all the wiring or get the lamp out.

I replaced a smashed handguard a couple weeks ago, probably more than 10 minutes to get it all apart, but easy nuff once you're in there.

Dave

• Like Like x 1
  3. nice one... thanks Dave!

4. Screen Shot 07-18-18 at 05.40 PM.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bump! Does anyone have any pictures of their 821 without hand guards or different hand guard options? Looking for inspiration

6. Interested in this also

7. I'm either going to take them off completely or found this chap who fitted the Acerbic guards..

image_1456273913179.jpeg

Doing some research into which guards they are, I think it's these, £65.00 on Dirtbikeexpress;
    5355_l.jpg

8. Just removed my hand guards, as Dave said, very simple but just a quick how to to assist noobs like me in future;

Before:
    IMG_4530.JPG

5mm Allen for both bar ends:
    IMG_4532.JPG

3mm allen handlebar clamps:
    IMG_4531.JPG

These two (3mm Allen):
    fullsizeoutput_4c5.jpeg

Lift the whole headlight / mudguard unit up. Lifting them out these two lugs:

IMG_4537.JPG
    IMG_4536.JPG

Looking under mud guard, remove these four:
    fullsizeoutput_4c4.jpeg

You can now remove the outer fairing allowing access to two hex (T29) at the top of the headlight. Once removed again this lifts upwards from some lugs:
    IMG_4539.JPG

Looks quite cool:
    czHI7qRPRq2QBGDz0bzYKA.jpg

Pull out the two bundles of cabling from behind the screen:
    QCMN%4s6Q4mY1MRKw2rCVA.jpg

You can then pull of the indicator cables out and completely detach the handguards/indicators. Once removed I wrapped up the open sockets with electrical cable. Repack the bundles and re-assemble everything.

After:
    IMG_4545.JPG

I had some Domino spare grips laying around from my Panigale so fitted them and looks heaps better imo :cool::
    IMG_4550.JPG IMG_4551.JPG

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. Interesting post.. Im looking to remove the handguards from my 939. Has anyone got any suggestions for replacement aftermarket indicators and where/how to fit them?

10. What are you replacing the indicators with and where are yu going to fit them?

11. So far, I'm not fitting any. Only use the bike lightly and in daylight hrs.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information