1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

848 Renthal 40t Sprocket.

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Bonkers the Dog, Aug 20, 2021.

1. What's the original front and rear sprocket teeth size? Not familiar with 848, but I went down a tooth on the front on my V2 and it made a huge difference firing the bike out of the corner. One down on the front is about 2-2.5 increase on the rear FYI.

2. Mmmmm....this sort of thing is out of my comfort zone if truth be told, my understanding is the OEM Ducati sprocket is 42, if you go down to a 40 the acceleration goes up but top speed goes down?

Perhaps a sprocket guru might chime in?

3. Up on the rear increases acceleration as does down on the front. So 42 to 40 on the rear would reduce acceleration.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Think back to your first mountain bike days!
    The rear gets harder the smaller the gear you select, in the same respect the larger cogs required less effort to get moving but our legs (the engine) top out at a slower rate of speed.

The front cog is the opposite, the smaller (less teeth) sprocket turns the rear with less effort! Less teeth aka less movement of the rear per turn of the front.....but the dreaded 3rd or 4th large sprocket on the front turns the energy needed to get the rear moving up to a point where your legs struggle.

Swap out legs for engine and you can see the trade off between the choices, the trick is the balance between what the engine can pull to get you moving and what you want to achieve in usable power and top end! Figure that out and become a race guru :upyeah::upyeah::cool:

5. This is a good way to explain it. You must be a school teacher or something :joy:

6. I think standard sprockets were 15:39? - if you already have 15:42 fitted then this is suggested as the "ideal" ratio (for improved acceleration) already.

7. nope! I would very quickly go down for murder :yum

I actually supply and replace septic tanks for a living! I’m in construction bud.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information