1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1198 Replace Brake Pads On 1198

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Nicolaib83, Jun 7, 2018.

1. I am about to change the brakepads on the front calibers, and wondering if I have to drain some of the brake fluid before pushing the pistons back in? right now it is at the maximum mark.

2. In a word: Yes!

3. I would remove the cap and use some kitchen roll to absorb some to get you closer to the min, then push the pistons back and the level shouldn't rise too much past the max level, then you can pump them back. However, it's worth cleaning all the muck off the pistons first before you push them back as otherwise you can risk damaging the piston seals.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Excalty my thoughts, protect the rim and clean the pistons as much as possible..

5. I might have to do this myself in the near future, on an 1198S. Probably a stupid question, but do the calipers come off the forks without removing the wheel (the right side one looks especially tight)???

TIA

6. Yep. I usually loosen the 2 caliper bolts and give them a little twist, which pushes the pads back in slightly and allows you to get the caliper past the rim to remove it. :)

7. Many thanks. The bike is used on the road only - any point in using other than Ducati OEM pads?

8. get a large syringe from a chemist and use it to suck out some of the fluid ...less messy.
    callipers come off without taking out the wheel
    check the edges of the new pads so there are no high spots
    dont forget a little copper slip on the back of them to assist the anti squeal..
    and finally why not bleed the whole thing after to put new fluid in there

9. Thanks Andy.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information