1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacement Coils For '94 750ss

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by CAT3, May 23, 2017.

1. Hi Guys,
    I've read on various posts on here that a lot of you have changed your coils for uprated ones. Just interested to know what you all think are the best ones to use ?
    I've seen on CA Cycleworks web site that they do suitable items for my '94 750SS, are these the best ones out there in terms of doing the job & ease of fitment ?
    Any help greatly appreciated.

2. @Exige might be able to help you.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. As I understand it, The Cycleworks coils are not just the equivalent of oem but are uprated for a fatter spark. The kit I got from them before they had a British importer certainly was.

4. Here's the description from CCW: Note: there is a 2 part fitment video on YouTube...

Replace your tired OEM components: Ca Cycleworks coils feature 35000+ V output and have the same primary resistance as the original coils, eliminating the problem of trying to find ignition coils compatible with the ignition modules.

Replaces OE 380.4.004.1B.

Kit includes ignition coils, spark plug wires/caps, NGK DR9EA spark plugs and instructions. This kit replaces the "Dyna coils kit" we sold for more than ten years.

These coils are the correct spacing and length to mount in the stock location; the previously sold Dyna coils had to be shortened by milling off the extra mounting hole and then we had to include an adaptor bracket and hardware to adapt it for mounting on Ducati’s. This kit is a better solution with much easier mounting.

5. Ive got CA Cycleworks coils, great upgrade

• Like Like x 1
  6. Exige, can you please just confirm payment is by Paypal to [email protected]. Also, can you confirm the current price as the last port in your previous link above is last year so just want to check the price in case it has changed.
    Many thanks. Couldn't work out how to PM you so sorry for using this method to make contact.

7. Hi, yes: PayPal friends and Family please to [email protected]
    Postage is included:Royal Mail Signed / Insured.
    PM's on here are: 'Start a Conversation' tab.
    If you find it send your address via PM, if not the email me.
    Cheers,
    Stu

• Love You Love You x 1
  8. Payment made & message sent, thank you Stu.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Before.jpg After.jpg
    Finally fitted my new coils. Because the LT connections are at the opposite end on the new coils I removed the smaller straight spade connection & fitted flag connections so they matched the other connection on each coil. Not sure why Ducati had one of each style on each coil, but the wire routing looks much better now. Got a few other jobs to sort out & then I'll get to try the modification & see if it makes any difference.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Very neat :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Quick update, got all my planned jobs done so bike is back on the road. I did have an issue the last time I used it when it just died at a set of traffic lights, just like someone had turned the ignition switch off. Anyway, got it going again after a bit of messing about. As it was due a service & after reading about the California Cycle Works coils I thought I'd just add that to the list of jobs. So after the usual service items including oil, filter, shims, etc I replaced the main ignition relay & replaced the coils. Also found one of the oil cooler pipe connections had a damaged thread, presumably done at the factory as I have never had the cooler off & I'm sure my then dealer never had. So I replaced both flexible hoses & the damaged adaptor in the cooler.
    Anyway, no issues when it came to starting so initial thoughts are positive. The real test will be when the bike gets left for a few weeks, (at least two weeks) & I try starting it. Up until now it would struggle to fire on both cylinders & when it did if I went out a few miles down the road it would start playing up again. Having owned the bike all it's life I'd got to the point where, if it'd been left for two or more weeks before I even attempted to start it I would replace both spark plugs. I also used to turn the fuel tap off before I'd get home to run the carbs dry before leaving it for any length of time.
    I'll keep you posted on my finding when it left for a while, but like I say, my initial findings are positive.

• Like Like x 1
  12. My '94 900SS was always very reluctant to start if it had not been run for two or three weekends, but I treated it to a tankful of super unleaded one day last year and that cured it. I have never used regular unleaded in it since to test the theory.
    I know my SPS runs like a bag of Sh!t if i give it regular unleaded, so I always use Super in both now.
    The nearest Shell stations are 25 miles away, but anything less is a pushbike ride anyway.

13. My replacement coils totally cured fouling problems, the bike came with a spare plug under the seat, kept there especially for when rather than if the plugs fouled. I stopped carrying it once I fitted the new coils.
    However, it was still a nightmare to start, with really laboured cranking and I was always worried about getting stranded somewhere. Every time I pressed the starter, my fingers were mentally crossed.
    Unfortunately, the cure wasn't available at the time, so I was really disappointed when I got a 999 and found it was very nearly as bad.
    At this time, starting circuit cable kits became available and fitting one of these provided a complete cure, especially when teamed up with a new Yuasa AGM battery.
    So if you want a bike that starts effortlessly, first time, every time, you know the way to go.
    Best money I've ever spent on any bike!

14. Strangely, I have just done the same thing. When I took it out the other day I thought I'd try super unleaded petrol, just to see if that made any difference with the starting/running. Up until then I have always used just ordinary unleaded. Coincidently I've done exactly the same on my Kawasaki Z900 as the plugs were looking rather fouled up when I serviced that bike recently & was the reason I thought I'd do the same on my Ducati.

15. Thanks for the info on the uprated starter cables, could be another little job on the cards soon !

16. Essential on an older Ducati in my view and desirable on lots of newer ones too.
    Same source as the coils: @Exige
    Team it up with a Yuasa agm at the same time. Agm batteries are maintenance free, so no topping up and they give usefully more cranking power too, to really spin that motor :)

17. I had a day off yesterday, and one of the things I did was make my M900 a set of new cables in 16mm2 Tinned marine cable and heavy duty crimps. I'm lucky to have the tools to crimp the correct ends on, without them I'd have gone to Exige. I also routed the Solenoid to Starter cable around the other side of the engine to look better and make belt maintenance easier.

They have made a big difference to how quick the bike spins up, despite having already been round and cleaned up all the points of contact.
    I think my problem was the Negative battery terminal to engine block cable. It was twisted and bent badly at the battery end and some of the outer individual strands had broken, probably some internal ones I couldn't see too.

A really worthwhile mod.

Nasher

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  18. The general consensus seems to be that the oem cables are pretty marginal when new and only get worse over time, with corrosion building up in all the crimped joints adding up to create enough resistance to seriously hamper starting performance.
    Uprated cables not only restore starting performance to as new levels, they actually improve on that.

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information