1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacement Seat Covers For Carby 900ss

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by bikemad, Jan 13, 2018.

1. There seems to be replacement seat covers for loads of other bikes out there....
    Is there anywhere that can supply a stock looking seat cover for a carby 900ss 1993 model that you would recommend?

2. I got my local upholsterers to do me one. i needed grey and that is impossible to find. They used much better fabric than the aftermarket seat covers are made from. They glue it to the foam so no wrinkles and perfect fit.

Phil

3. I've just bought a full set of '94 750ss panels and it comes with a seat.
    So I'll have a good look at what's involved with the seat cover.
    I have bought seat covers for other bikes, rd350lc, rd350/400 and fitted them but I didn't have to make the cover up.
    I'm in far away Australia in a small town so sometimes the internet is my main/only source.

4. I recently contacted "Pit Replica" in Thailand as they make a huge selection of replacement seat covers which I have used on other bikes. They have a policy that if you supply them with an original cover they will return a new one free of charge. They then can offer replacements for that model as they have had a sample.
    Anyway they got back to me and said that they couldn't supply a replacement cover as Ducati use "4 way" stretch vinyl and they can only supply "2 way" stretch vinyl.
    The ones available on eBay look quite different to the original.

5. Depending how ‘hands on’you are, you could make one yourself. It is true about the stretch as it’s a fairly awkward shape and so you have to do it in stages over a few days. I made a separate panel for the front and then had to sew and glue it on. This is the only place i needed to use glue. Original Evostick is the best stuff or cowgum. I use a manual staplegun with short staples, the downside is that the underneath of the plastic base can start to look a bit like a dartboard by the time you’ve finished due to the multistage stretching but if you are clever you can hide this anyway.

6. Thanks for that.
    I will have a spare seat shortly so will have something to work with.
    I'll see how I go and fingers crossed I can do a decent job of it!

7. have a look at as many materials as you can, I found it was hard to find a durable leathercloth that was also very stretchy - i.e. - the material that was easy to stretch would not have lasted long if fitted. It helps (goes without saying) to get the material as warm as possible when stretching and the help of a second person using a carefully aimed hairdryer would make it a lot easier (never had this luxury myself:-]). Make sure you don't cut the overlapping material too skimpily - this is the bit you need to tug on when stretching to fit the contours of the seat. It is a lot of work as it's such an awkward shape, the seat plus pad on a mono 851 are simple in comparison for example.

8. I took my seat to our local Motor trimmer who did a fantastic job of making a cover and fitting it to the seat base. He didn't use four way stretch vinyl as he said the usual stuff could be used. I know it's not a complicated job but they don't always get things right. Total cost $115Aust or approx. 63 pounds UK. I well pleased!!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information