1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacement Under Tank Sound Pads, 600ss, 750ss, Etc

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by allen, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Importing my bike to Switzerland only to find that the Swiss MOT requires that the under tank sound insulation be present. Not sure my bike ever had it. Unsurprisingly the parts are no longer available.

Bought the pads for a 600 monster and did a little hacking. Sharp stanley knife, spray on contact adhesive, and some patience... The pads fit perfectly. I have attached some pictures if anyone, for any crazy reason, wants to put pads back onto their tank.

Note that the internal foam of the pad can be gently teased off the cloth backing and cut away. You see this in some pics. This allows you to take the excess material and fold it over, closing the cut foam section and glued shut with contact adhesive.

No idea if anyone finds this useful.. but maybe.

IMG_6065.JPG IMG_6066.JPG IMG_6067.JPG IMG_6068.JPG IMG_6069.JPG IMG_6070.JPG IMG_6071.JPG IMG_6072.JPG IMG_6065.JPG IMG_6066.JPG

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. ????

Introduce yourself properly in the newbies section too Dave.

3. Useful info, thanks!

4. Lucky you made one as they cost £130 for a monster 1000 ! Why so expensive I have no idea.

5. Didn't save me money though, the pads I hacked were still over 100 squids from a monster.
    Definitely not cheap.

6. I'm sure a decent upholsterer or car trimmers could fashion something up for a lot less.

7. What about that mat stuff you use for sound deadening with car audio systems? Would that work I wonder

8. I recon that stuff would achieve the result just fine. But Swiss mot is super strict about tuv marked correct parts. Didn't want to take any chance.

9. Sure, sounds quite strict. I have three SS tanks and none have the matting. I may fit if it helps with noise although the chirp of FCRs is addictive

10. Yeah I didn't see evidence that mine ever had any padding...
    I've not ridden it yet to hear the difference.

How come you have three tanks?

11. Spares, one is now going on my next build. One is on my current bike, leaving 1 spare. They are going up in value so I stocked up when I saw them cheaper

12. Never had any sound pads under my tank - I doubt if there was room. Certainly no evidence or witness marks.

13. So.... Bike passed and now fully legal in Swiss :)

Sound pads accepted.. Brake pedal hammered straight again... New chain and sprockets. Kmh clocks. Couple other bits too

And wow I forgot how much I love that bike on country roads

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information