1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replica Brembo full floating cast iron rotors.

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by FastBikeGear, Jun 18, 2013.

1. These are some replica rotors for the Superlight and F.E. cast iron discs that I am in the process of doing for my bike and some mates. Mine were so warn that the bike failed it's last warrant of Fitness inspection.

These replicas are made out of 7075-T6 Alloy. While this is a very expensive material compared to the original material they will be both much harder wearing and much stronger than original.

I am using a proprietary two step anodising/colouring process on these that allows us to hard anodise them to further improve there wear properties and achieve a very close match to the original colour.

Hopefully the hard anodising and the 7075-T6 should give at least twice the life of the originals.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  2. Are you on the 851/888 forum? Plenty needed there, as there was talk of them being made but nothing happened.

3. No. can you give me a link to that forum please and I will post this there for interest.

#3 FastBikeGear, Jun 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  4. Many thanks....I tried posting it there but don't seem to be able to register login for some reason but I did post to another 851/888 forum​

5. i just placed a link off this topic on the 888-851forum .

henk!!!

6. All the rotors from my first batch have now been hard anodised and this is a picture of the first disc that has also gone through the second stage colouring process. The colour is not a perfect match but then again their doesn't seem to have been perfect consistency in the original carriers. I have two sets of originals here that are distinctly different gold colours.

If we had tried to gold anodise the 7075-T6 alloy that we used for these discs we would have got a different gold colour from the original gold anodising on the softer 6000 series alloy because the type of alloy used effects the colouring. In addition it is impossible to hard anodise in gold. (You can only achieve much darker colours).

I was determined to use a much harder and stronger alloy than the original soft alloy AND to hard anodise them to give these a diamond hard finish that would have a much longer wear life than the originals.

Subsequent to the hard anodising we are using a proprietary colouring process on these that allows us to hard anodise them and achieve a reasonably close match to the original gold colour. I am thrilled with how this process has turned out. The final gold finish is very tough and chemically resistive We did some scratch testing on the finaly gold finish today and I can report it is toughter than the gold finsh on the original sets we used for comaparison ....and of course underneath our is also the hard anodising and the 70575-T6 Ergal. It's belts and braces and braces...should last for years! Photo 27-06-13 4 07 53 PM.jpg

Photo 27-06-13 4 07 53 PM.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  7. Nice can will you be doing rotors for the 999 and in black would be uber cool.

8. No plans to do any for a 999 as I think the originals semi floating discs for the 999 are still available and they weren't prone to the same wear issues as the full floating discs.

9. Not in the market for any myself but these look really good :upyeah:

As an aside I know there is a demand for 15mm offset discs (748R style) as Brembo seem to have discontinued them from the HPK series, might be something worth looking at?

• Like Like x 3
  10. Just got the rest of the carriers back from the second stage of the hard anodizing/coloring process. We tweaked the process slightly from the sample shown in my previous post above and we now have an excellent colour match with the originals (except our ones are hard anodized as well).

They are all ready to ship out the door.

I have already mounted up my old cast iton rotors on to one of the sets of carriers for my own bike. I Couldn't be happier with the finished product.

I doubt I will notice any difference in braking - but it will be great to have the peace of mind that the old assemblies aren't going to fly apart when I need them most.

image.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  11. Some here DUCATI 748R-998R FRONT DISCS | eBay

• Like Like x 1
  12. I primarily did this project to solve the issue on my own bike. However now that I have process fully sorted it is relatively easy to run off more pieces and I am happy to supply to other people

Not sure I want do these for another model unless I am confident their is a demand for some volume?

At some stage with any project like this you have to decide whether to take the plunge and financial risk, as the brits say you have to either piss or get off the pot. Once you make the commitment to proceed, the development work starts. With modern design and manufacturing tools a low volume project is lot more simple and cost effective on a small scale than it used to be. First you do your feasibility and materials research. The you create the item in solids works and send it to 3D printer to give you a physical item that you can bolt into place and check your fit and tolerances, ect, Then you machine one out of soft cheap alloy to validate your CNC files/ tooling/mounting jigs. Then you machine a sample out of the material you are going to use for production. (In our case at this stage we discovered real issues that took some experimentation and many attempts to resolve). Having done this you do a small production run. Next you use some samples from the same parent billet stock to test and tune your anodising /colour match. Different batches of stock and even the same batches of stock on different days if all environmental conditions arn't perfectly controlled will vary the colour matching.

• Like Like x 1
  13. How much for a pair of the ones you have already run off? (apart from p&p that is)

14. They were $345 NZD per carrier. The first run has all been sold if everyone comes thru with their payment. Now that's we have the process sorted I am hoping the run we will hopefully start next week will work out a little cheaper. We can do them a lot cheaper if people don't want them hard anodized but I thin that defeats the purpose of trying to create a much superior product that will last much much longer than the originals.

15. Cast iron rotors

Hi All...just picked your threads up on a search....
    we manufacture cast iron round bar and supplied many cnc machining companies with our material. We manufacture all grades of grey cast iron or flake iron and ductile iron.
    From 20mm dia upto 635dia and ideal for machining into rotors etc...hope this helps weblink below if you require more info.
    UCB
    all product is made in the uk.

process fully sorted it is relatively easy to run off more pieces and I am happy to supply to other people

Not sure I want do these for another model unless I am confident their is a demand for some volume?

At some stage with any project like this you have to decide whether to take the plunge and financial risk, as the brits say you have to either piss or get off the pot. Once you make the commitment to proceed, the development work starts. With modern design and manufacturing tools a low volume project is lot more simple and cost effective on a small scale than it used to be. First you do your feasibility and materials research. The you create the item in solids works and send it to 3D printer to give you a physical item that you can bolt into place and check your fit and tolerances, ect, Then you machine one out of soft cheap alloy to validate your CNC files/ tooling/mounting jigs. Then you machine a sample out of the material you are going to use for production. (In our case at this stage we discovered real issues that took some experimentation and many attempts to resolve). Having done this you do a small production run. Next you use some samples from the same parent billet stock to test and tune your anodising /colour match. Different batches of stock and even the same batches of stock on different days if all environmental conditions arn't perfectly controlled will vary the colour matching.[/QUOTE]

16. Just to advise that we will have more of these in stock next week.

Currently at the anodisers.

If anyone wants a set please just email [email protected]

17. Just to say you've done a lovely job there Liam, they look awesome!
    I would be tempted to get a name/number/manufacturer/details stamped into them though as it would mean repeat business and also avoid confusion with originals.

18. I just picked up our last batch of these carriers from the anodisers today.

They look fantastic! See pic below.

If you want a set EMAIL me your delivery address I can quote your for a price including delivery.

my email address is [email protected]

Product description:
    Brembo Replica disc carriers for Ducati 320mm full floating cast iron discs.
    Full floating cast iron discs are superior to every other type of brake disc (other than carbon fibre discs) and are used in the top race series in the world including MotoGP when rules or wet conditions prevent the use of carbon fibre discs.
    The original Brembo full floating disc carriers were made from an alloy that was too soft and they were only treated with a standard anodised finish. As most customers quickly discovered the original carriers quickly wore out around the full loating buttons.
    FastBikeGear carriers however are made of a much tougher alloy (7075-T6 Ergal). But the real secret to achieving a near diamond hard wear surface around the full floating buttons is our proprietary two step hard anodising/gold colouring process. While some of the other replicar carriers are reportedly also made from 7075 alloy, All other imitation products use just a standard (comparitively soft) anodising process.
    FastBikeGear replica Brembo disc carriers are consequently sought out by customers from all over the world.
    The price shown is for a single carrier as some bikes are only fitted with a single front disc.
    Please note this price is for the disc carriers only -This price does not include the cast iron discs or the buttons. You need to order 2 for most applications.You should find your original buttons have zero wear and will be in near perfect condition. We have measured up two original sets of original buttons after 30,000 km's and they showed absolutely no sign of wear because the original hard anodizing was/is as diamond hard as the anodizing used under the final colouring process on the Fast BikeGear carriers.
    FastBikeGear Disc Carriers are precision CNC milled from solid Billet (7075-T6 Ergal) exclusively for FastBikeGear by one of Australaisias most respected race engineering shops.
    We only produce these in small runs (4 sets at a time). Our last batch has sold out, but are doing another small batch as fast as we can. If you would like to reserve a set please email [email protected]

These disc carriers are exact replicas of the Brembo full floating disc carriers used on Ducati high performance bikes from 1991-2002. (Brembo part Number 49240081A).

They will fit most Ducatis fitted with 6 bolt Brembo cast iron discs, including:

750SS 900SS
    Monster M750/M900, S4,
    851/888, 748/916/955/996/996SPS/R & 998 Superbikes

They will also fit some models of Laverda, Moto Guzzi and Aprilias including:

Laverda 668, 750S & 750 Formula,
    Aprilia RSV1000, SL1000 and most late model Bimota's.

image.jpg

Do Not Sell My Personal Information