1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Request: "made In Italy" And Agip Tank Decal Positioning

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by DucatiChappie, Apr 6, 2017.

1. Morning all
    I have the tank and bodywork from my 1992 half-faired 900SS at the painters at the moment (at great expense!). I have a set of replica decals from the Image Works (very reasonable) to apply. The tank had already been stripped before I got it, so I have no reference for the decal positioning. The side "Ducati" decals should be obvious I would hope, but for the triangular Agip decal and the Made in Italy, I'm not so sure. If anyone has an early 900ss in the shed (and I've a feeling some of you might...!), would you mind posting or PMing me a photo of the top of the tank which I can send on to the paint shop please?
    TIA and much appreciated.
    James

#1 DucatiChappie, Apr 6, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  2. It might be worth checking Google images - in my experience Ducati staff stuck them all over the place depending on how they felt on any given day and didn't have templates (or certainly didn't use one!) :)

3. Best I've got without going home to measure it I'm afraid.

Nasher

Tank 1.jpg

4. Thanks both! I have had a look on Google Images, but surprisingly few images there of tops of tanks. Nasher, yours is a slightly later bike I see with the tank breather coming from an elongated dome (don't know the correct term for that, sorry!), whereas mine is the earlier "bubble" on the right hand side of the tank. I don't suppose that makes much difference. The one photo I have found on GI is of a similar era bike with the decals in the same position. I'll go with than in the absence of anything specific for the earlier bikes. Thanks again.

5. Interesting that the two images show the decals 180 deg. out from each other!

I would of thought they should be 'read' from the riders perspective, like my image, but the image from Air Duck would have them upside-down from the riders perspective.

Nasher.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. See my earlier post :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Who needs a template!

It would drive me mad seeing them upside-down all the time.

Nasher.

8. IMG_20170406_103344.jpg Couldn't get rid of parallax error on this so...
    Point A (bottom of inside vertical leg of D) is approx inline with the front of tank's breather tower (the mound on top of the tank), so everything to the left of that point on the D is forward of the breather tower.
    Point B (top of outside edge of main vertical leg) is approx inline with the rear of the tank's breather tower, everything to the right of that point is rearward of the breather tower.

9. Haha agreed
    Haha agreed! I've got another couple of 900 tanks - I'll check those now as I'm not even sure I'd ever noticed that! :tearsofjoy:

10. PMSL! Yeah the other two are the 'right' way around... Must've done over 6K miles with that tank and never noticed! "What, truck headed straight towards me you say?":tearsofjoy:
    IMG_20170406_110244.jpg IMG_20170406_110334.jpg

11. And in your first image above one of them can't be on the centre line of the tank as they are offset to each other. - Again, see earlier post by Exige.

It's all in the detail, and Cr*p really for what is considered a 'premium brand'.
    Although on the plus side it does prove the 'hand finished' nature of them.

Nasher.

#12 Nasher, Apr 6, 2017
  12. Thanks for all the effort that you've gone to there Air Duck, much appreciated. Funny about the decals being the "wrong" way round! Maybe the decal-sticking apprentice's first day at work the day that one rolled put of the door?! I think I have all I need now, so thank you all for your help. Cheers.

13. Here's a pic I took during therespraying my 1993 model (pics are pre flatting and polishing please note!)

The paintwork was original but badly stonechipped and I took many measurements and photos prior to placing the decals, so for mine at least, the position is pretty spot on.

However, as many have already mentioned the would inevitably have been variation on the production line.

I'll try and look out some better pics when I have access to my PC tonight, but it looks like you're going to have enough to go on already.

Photo0557.jpg

#14 Samurai, Apr 6, 2017
  14. Just the Made in Italy sticker (top to bars) on the 95 models, no Agip.

15. Image of the original tank that came with the 1994 600SS I purchased.

No Agip

Nasher
    Old Tank 1.jpg

16. This is the tank on my 95 600ss with small bubble breather I will upload better picture if any use to you. P8240023.JPG P8240024.JPG

17. Compared with my tank which I was advised by Ducati Italy was a genuine tank out of the factory, Nasher's is pretty much correct as is Samurai's - My bike was a 1997 registered version - manufactured in 1997 as well. The tank was a replacement one, possibly owing to petrol leaks in the usual places.

18. Both my early tanks - as original - stickers under paint

one had agip only, the other made in italy only

[​IMG]

19. Sorry not been back on this thread as have been busy on other things. Painter has not got the decals positions, so thanks again all!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information