1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Respraying Carbon?

Discussion in 'Detailing and cleaning' started by Greenhorn, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Afternoon,

My 996 has got various carbon body bits including side panels and seat unit. The seat is done in red with the white numberboards on the sides, and has thin pinstripes of bare carbon at the joins.

I love this. Super subtle.

The side panels have been painted (not brilliantly, but ok) in solid red, and I'm thinking of the potential to replicate the look of the tail. Namely mainly red, but with a couple of thin carbon lines (location and design not yet thought about too much).

So, the question is, can carbon be taken back to bare and resprayed without messing up the bare carbon look?

2. From my experience the answer is no. Once the lacquer or clear coating is removed it is very easy to scratch the carbonfibre or cut back too deeply and once this is done the scratches will show through when you relacquer.

You could try rubbing the panels down by hand very carefully and leave yourself with no paint but not having cut through the clear coating or lacquer and then you will probably succeed but it is a difficult and time consuming job.

3. google is your friend on this one...

contains several opinions, but also a few how to's found within a matter of seconds.

4. Just have a trusty bodywork guy do it. He had to go over mine multiple times, in the end it turned out great though. I had him redo several portions and some of it involved removing previously painted parts. [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information