1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1199 Reverse Shift Rod Fitment?

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by 750steve, Jan 18, 2017.

1. just thought I'd ask some advice before I went ahead & fitted my reverse shift rod.

For anyone that has done it, is it a straight forward job? I have just the rod with an 'eye' at each end but I thought I read something somewhere about needing a thinner connection at 1 end, it may have been the part that joined into the gear selector rod but not quite sure

2. Which model do you have 899/1199 or 959/1299?

3. An 1199 Jon

4. Damn, another outstanding job I need to get done haha! Thanks for reminding me!!

5. I've fitted one to a 1299S, easy to do although it is now in reverse shift, the quickshifter isn't working, and the 'sport' mode is flashing and theres a '-' next to DQS. I think I'll have to tell the computer it's swapped around as well. Thought this bike was so sophisticated it would have worked it out. I'll try and change the mode on the dash later and fingers crossed I'll be quick shifting again!

6. Done the same to mine, you have to swap the wires round in the plug for the shifter rod switches, other wise the computer thinks your down shifting when your up shifting, this wont make it happy.

you will need a small terminal pic (or tiny screwdriver), un plug the switch you'll see there are 3 wires (slide back the rubber boot) put your pic / screwdriver in the slot on the rear of the plug and the wires pull out. you only need to swap the outer two wires (cant remember the colours) as the middle one is the common. pop the rubber boot back into the plug to keep the water out, plug it back in and your done.

now the computer knows your up-shifting and downshifting making it happy again ;)

7. Cheers Martin, the kit usefully didn't include any instructions. Doesnt the short cable that comes with the kit not swap the wires around for you? I thought that was the point of the short cable that came with the metal bracket. I'll have a look at the switch wiring tonight and see if I can get it fixed.

#7 DRR117, Jan 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  8. Thanks guys, 1199 reverse shifter is a 2 wire jobbie so a bit different to the 1299 item, will I need to tell the dash there's something different going on?

You mean you need to switch wires on the other terminal (the one on the loom the Q/S plug fits into)? Will the 1199 need that too?

I'd have assumed that by telling the dash (if you need to do that) it would reverse the polarity to suit?, so the wires wouldn't need to be swapped? That really doesn't seem to be so straight forward

9. There's no option to tell it in the dash, it just has on or off settings for 'up' on the 1199 and 'up' and 'down' on the 1299.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Merci :upyeah:

11. I didnt buy a kit, i just worked it out myself. Mine is a 1299, The 1199 i had a go on only had up shift, and looking at it i would assume that its a 2 wire setup, meaning its only got one switch in the rod. dont know what you'd do for that appart from fitting a rod from a 1299? (just thinking off the top of my head)

I'll be making some new rear sets for it as im not too keen on the "feel" of the stock setup. ive been looking at designs for some and i'll take the best bits from each design and make my own.

• Like Like x 1
  12. The 1229/R kit contains wiring to reverse the connector and a knuckle joint to improve the clearance between the shifter and rearset assembly. Alternatively, remove ~1mm from the existing knuckle and swap the wires.

13. Guys, I just tried this on my 899 and the electrical recommendations above don't seem to work. There are 3 wires; Red, White and Black, I swapped red with black and no joy (the outer ones). Normally I would expect the black to be common (which I will try tomorrow). The clearance can be solved with a longer bolt and some washers to provide some extra space between the shift rod and the hanger assembly. It also meant I could swap the allen head bolt for a hex, so it can be removed without taking the rear-sets off.

14. The 3 wire ones are for the 1299 or R with blipper. The models with just a quickshifter only have two wires.

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information