1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rider Aids?

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by El Toro, Dec 5, 2020.

1. Given that the motorbike industry is continually developing and has, in recent years, introduced rider aids such as cornering ABS, cruise control, anti-wheelie control etc and had just recently the Radar Safety System to the new Multistrada V4, what rider aids would you like to see included in your bikes in future?

2. The electronics package on the V4S is super impressive. I’m not fussed about ABS but tbf it’s not intrusive when turned down.
    The wheelie control is superb. Feeds in the power beautifully with your front wheel a couple of inches up (think MotoGP look) At Valencia I got to lean on the slide control which was epic fun. It’s the long left hander before the last corner. It’s also the only corner I’ve managed to get it working on. But that’s because I’m not a top dog. Just an aging twat playing on his motorbike.

In summary, jumping from a 1098R to V4S, I find the electronics package incredible. I’d have to tread very carefully going back to a proper mans bike :laughing::upyeah:

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. None. The simpler the better for me. Bin the electronics and give me control.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Agree. I would prefer less electronics going forward.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Maybe a coffee maker for my biscotti.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Wheelie mode.
    Stoppie mode.
    HUD - optional what it displays.

7. My SS is the first bike I’ve had with any aids, a little worrying because as Mary says should I get on a normal bike I’ll probably be off the back or in a tree.

I have to say I think the quick shifter is the best aid on my bike. It has abs and all that but the QS is the one I like.
    Why would anyone need radar on their bike? Is it just something to brag about down the pub (if your in tier 1)

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. If it meant I could have a bike that weighed 20kgs less then I’d happily ditch them all?

I do see the advantages of the radar system on the new multi, especially the rear one with the blind spot alert, the front one not so much unless you use cruise control a lot and do a lot of motorway miles? But would I hand my life and safety over to it and be prepared to pay the extra for it? I’m not so sure.

depends on your use, I can see the relevance of things like slide control and anti wheelie on track, on the road though?

9. Thermal vision system linked to rider helmet, heated mirrors would also be a rider aid for european riders during winter. A shroud you can place over parts of the engine & pull warm air into the inside of your riding gear.

10. I have no problem with rider aids BUT more electronics is more to go wrong with expensive repairs if it does.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Hmm - tough one....ironically last week when i planted the zed into that Focus if id have had ABS it would probably written the bike off but where the front tucked in it slid underneath minimizing the damage....

I see it from a maintenance point of view as i cant afford to put my bike in for servicing and repair....an analog bike is easier to strip down, service, repair and fault find and doesnt need to be plugged into something to clear an error which would probably cost x amount of hundreds for a tech to push a button.

My stuff has limited electronics but can be plugged into my laptop for complete control by me which im more than happy with.

• Like Like x 1
  12. I’m all good for aids

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Some kind of speed trap awareness that was accurate;)

Good luck riding 200hp with no aids at all :upyeah: and it would mean going back to clutch less shift, no slipper clutch so matching revs on downshifts, 200hp on wet winter roads with semi slick tyres knowing a small throttle adjustment or emergency brake and you’re on your face.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Have a bang matey? Hope all ok.

15. Yeah, thanks Bradders - 100% her fault - the big zed is now languishing at a bike hospital near Heathrow....4 - 6 weeks til i get it back...thats the only bit thats irritating....i use it all the time...

• Like Like x 1
  16. The next thing they'll want is a bloody chauffeur for crying out loud leave well alone in my book.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Just don’t die of ignorance people, Aids is serious stuff.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. I’m a little old school with 38 years of riding! I’ve ridden all the bonkers 2 strokes back in the day. Teachers you a lot about throttle control! Back then we had rubbish tyres, wooden brakes and really ill handling bikes. I love all the new tech so long as you can either switch it off or make it unintrusive. You have also got to be prepared to tinker around to get a good feeling that works for you. My last all analog bike that had zero electronics and real throttle cables was in 2014 and loved it!

The only thing that annoys me is useless electronics, like braking and acceleration gauges! Lean angle, Eco displays etc. Embrace the future as it’s only going to get more technical. Just waiting for more app generated technology just like cars... G meters, Radar cruise and active lane already here!

The only thing I would like is active ECILOP ⚠️ warning system :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information