1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Riding In Europe, Advice Please

Discussion in 'Touring' started by Coffey, May 16, 2019.

1. Ok quite simply we have a trip through France, Germany and into Switzerland in June ... what legally do I need to take with me? Go ..... :upyeah: (before brexit :zzz:)

I have googled, but different sites give different answers e.g some say
    breathalyser, some not!

Thanks

Adam

• Like Like x 5
    • Useful Useful x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Watch your speed in Switzerland, don't expect any tolerance and keep under the limit. It's not a fun place to ride IMO. France / Italy / Germany more fun.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. BTW I drive / ride to CH and back quite a bit for work trips and main advice would be, don't overthink it. Credit-card, passport, keys are the important bits. Driving licence and paperwork are nice to have but IMO not essential (been stopped by DE police and they weren't bothered that I didn't have them once they confirmed that the UK plates checked out to UK passport and UK person, they stopped me as apparently DE systems were not talking with UK systems at that time - 2017 - and thieves were using UK plates to traffick vehicles through DE so the UK plate and the time of day I was travelling - early hours - made it worth a stop / check. DE police were very nice actually, friendly and not intimidating at all).

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. But they are German?? :thinkingface: - just kidding
    Agree with not overthinking stuff but you won't go wrong with @Robarano's list. The Swiss will chase you for law infringements so be extra compliant there, otherwise have a blast :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Don't disagree with the Swiss fuzz. Avoid Switzerland, drop into Italy and the Aosta valley via the Mont Blanc tunnel and enjoy racing old men in Fiat Pandas up hills. Much funnerer.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Thanks for the info so far chaps! So I do need to carry breathalyser and high-viz? All so conflicting! Bulbs? :thinkingface: What are they like over there on number plate size? I mean not tiny but like 7 x 5 or something

7. Really useful thread - doing my first bike tour in June!

8. That's what I call a comprehensive list, good job.

Regarding speed camera locations. Sat navs are allowed to warn you of areas of danger, which co incidentally is where the speed cameras are. I've just ridden down thru France and loads of cameras have been wrapped up in bin bags.?

Breathalisers are a legal requirement but apparently nothing is done if found without them in France.

TB

9. So do italy !

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. Breathalyser and hiviz = No

Take docs. Passport. Registration insurance license and travel ins.

Also inform bank so your visa isnt blocked. Only happened to me once so now just do it.

Check ur breakdown and recovery cover. Inform them too.

Other than that, travel light. New tyres. Check pads.

Avoid switzerland like plague. Go Italy via Gex and Juras.

Enjoy ur trip.

• Useful Useful x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information