1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Riding In Shorts? Your Thoughts...

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Noods, Aug 5, 2018.

1. I fell off my push bike when I was a young one probably at about 8 mile an hour in shorts ahreasedymy knees and hands..

Unfortunately today driving home I saw a very nasty accident happen right in front of me where a big Suzuki was overtaking at prob about 80mph on the A140 when the car in front of me turned right legitimately and bang! The rider was launched up the road, to be fair if he was wearing leathers or Kevlar jeans he would have been up on his feet and relatively ok..
    He was wearing flip flops and a tee shirt and shorts, there was a nurse in our car, my goddaughter and my chum her Dad.. she sprang into action while we tried to help while an ambulance came ... I will spare you the graphic details but he was in shock!
    Later my goddaughter said he might not survive as the body can try to fail because of the trauma, like serious burns..
    hope he makes it, even if he does though he will suffer life changing injuries just through the skin and muscle damage..

My opinion is even though it’s so hot at present it’s just too risky even going to the shops riding a bike In shorts etc..

What say you?

• Agree Agree x 11
  2. 80mph in a T shirt, flip flops and shorts! Poor guy. Sounds terrible.

I think you have your answer right there.
    He must have been a mess but please, spare us the details.

Also, overtaking at a junction, just don't!

• Agree Agree x 7
  3. sorry you had to experience that Noods, no sympathy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  4. 80MPH in full leathers or kevlar and you are not going to stand up and walk away often

If riding in shorts, ride appropriately

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Sorry for the rider involved, leathers would certainly help with the road rash, i took my Honda 250 for its mot on Friday , only a mile up the road but still wouldn't risk it without my leather jacket and gloves.
    Steve

6. Sympathy goes out to all that had to witness the aftermath and hat off to the services that have to scrape people off pavements and roads :(

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. No excuse in my opinion and little sympathy I'm afraid.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. Wear what you like on a hot sunny day. Just don't fall off if you choose the Speedo's option. It'll be painful....

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. I can see the attraction but just not worth the risk, leathers for me and Rukka outlast under gear, hope he makes it

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Sympathies to the riders family as they are the ones who will have to look after him, probably for the rest of their lives.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. My thoughts are simple....STUPID beyond belief.
    Mate of mine sold his bike, took it to fill her up for new owner and was wearing T-shirt and shorts to the petrol station, you guessed it, came off at speed, 6 months in and out of hospital, numerous skin grafts and cosmetic work. His words...."never do that again"!!!! totalled bike, lost £1000's and a shed load of skin and bone.
    I saw all his injuries and they were not pretty at all. We all know the risks but i would rather be hot than screwed

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. It's not how fast you are going (except for abrasions), but how fast you stop.
    My injuries were from 25MPH where full gear, my head didn't even hit the ground..... 6 months off work and life changing injuries!
    My brother was only just pulling away and he lost a leg.

I drive in London every day and I can't believe the number of people inappropriately dressed riding scooters and motorcycles.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. As an engineer, my line of thought is very similar. Speed does not kill, the sudden deceleration is what kills you :D

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. I like the fact you have a choice, but I wouldn’t do it, and tbh, wifey would go absolutely bananas if she seen me not wearing gear.

• Like Like x 1

15. Crazy aint it?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Would I wear shorts nope I wouldn’t but if you choose to wear them be it on your head and spare a thought for those that will deal with your stupidity

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Not you Noods

18. Ahhh but you would look better in shorts than me lol

19. I used to feel differently but having just recovered from concussion & a broken collarbone after the lowest speed spill I’ve ever had, which wrecked my AGV, Alpinestars jacket & gloves but left my skin completely intact, I’ve kinda changed my mind on the whole leathers & helmet debate.

I might see it differently on Route 66 atop a fat boy but over here on my bike, it’s not even a question now.

Hope the hurt dude makes a decent recovery.

• Like Like x 1
  20. :D

Do Not Sell My Personal Information