1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1198 Riding Position

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by tater, Jun 28, 2017.

1. Hi, hoping someone has the knowledge. Looking at making the shift from a 749s to a 1198/s, although there are non very local at the moment. just to give me an idea, can anyone shed any light on the difference in riding position between the 749/999 model and the 1198? is it comparable? more/less on the wrists?

2. Never ridden a 999. I have 916 and 1098.
    Riding the 1098 after the 916 the 1098 is e a tourer.
    I believe people say the 999 is less cramped than a 916. I suspect it all depends on your size on my of them.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I have all three of these..916, 749, 1098.
    In order of cramped-ness, I would say*

*Based on me being a 5'7" 10 stone short-arse.

#3 RickyX, Jun 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. My last bike was a 999S and current is an 1198S.
    I would say the 999S is a little more of a stretch for the arms, but not by very much, an inch or two at the most.
    Legs very similar. My wrists were/are tortured by both bikes but I'm finding using my legs clamping the tank whilst braking hard is relieving a lot of the pressure. Still not great though.
    The 1198 will feel immediately familiar to you after being on the 749. Right up until you open the throttle that is :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. 1198 is a stretch. Marginally more comfy than a 916. Although the thing will try to tear your arms out of its sockets. 1198 is better with the DP Performance seat, although rubbery and firm its surprisingly v good. Best seat Ive had on any Ducati. You will love the 1198. Its a brute. 1098's are for pussies. Hehe.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. I carried out a quick comparison of seat to bar and seat to peg dimensions for all 3 and found they were all basically similar, to within a few mm.

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Do you mean the Superpole seat? I find I have more leg room with this on my 1198, but because I'm sitting a bit higher my neck is turned more. I tried the DP seat (the neoprene covered one), didn't like it much (especially when it got wet - took forever to dry out!).

I think others have said, you shouldn't have much weight on your wrists if you're using your back, stomach, leg muscles to hold on to the bike?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Yes, the superpole seat is the best. I tried all the others - sargent etc. This is the only seat that offers comfort over distance.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Bit greedy :eek:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Thats true to a point @AndrewS, but I found the 1198 a stretch to the bars. Only my old 1100 Katana was worse. Thus its difficult to maintain the grip using only stomach and back unless you are young and fit. :) I'm 51 and neither young nor fit. Similar in build to @RickyX but much prettier.

The 1299 is a godsend in this respect. Much less forward lean required.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Can't really argue with that - I'm not young or fit either!

Never ridden an 1*99, maybe I should.

12. In essence that's what I was looking for I guess, I find the 749 to be no problem, even on big mileage weekends (in so much as its sports bike limitations) so as long as the 1198 is comparable then I'm ok with that

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. I have a 999 and an 1198. The 999 is the comfiest. The 1198 was bad on the wrists to the point where I used to wear wrist supports on long trips. You sit IN the 999 whereas you sit ON the 1198.

14. I sit right up against the tank on the 1198 and find it incredibly comfortable, almost to the point of it feels like an upright bike rather than a sports bike. As i ride i have zero weight on my wrists (5'10, under 12 stone).

Come round and have a sit on mine @tater (when the wife isn't it ;) )

15. Oooo. Hello Honky Tonk

16. At 6ft4 neither of them are particularly comfortable but I find my 1098 a lot more comfortable than the 749.

17. As said they s very similar seat position I must say I felt the 1198 more comfortable on the move which makes sense bacause the 1098/1198 handles better . However when your riding the 1198 you want be thinking about the comfort just wishing you'd got one earlier they are the first proper superbike Ducati mass produced

Do Not Sell My Personal Information