1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

749 Right Angled Battery Connector Replacement

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by saxman, Nov 19, 2017.

1. Hi, whilst working on my 749 yesterday, I noticed that the right angled connector for the negative battery lead was corroded and damaged from being bent while removing the battery over the years. Of course it came off in my hand :blush: so now i need a replacement, I have looked online and not found anything that looks remotely like the original part, does anyone know where I might find one?

/Sax

2. Sounds like a perfect excuse to upgrade to a Set of @Exige's Hi-Cap cables :upyeah:

Thread here: https://www.ducatiforum.co.uk/threads/exact-start-hi-cap-cables-range-and-forum-discounts.36761/

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. wot Ben said...

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. What Ben and chiz said.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Funnily enough that's exactly the upgrade I was doing when it broke, the problem is that the new cables are designed to fit inside the existing connectors so you don't have to re do the entire wiring loom. Although now I think about it if there is nothing else connected to the negative cable then I guess I could just remove it and intall the new one on its own. :neutral:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. The negative lead is a straight replacement so you are right, it's still a good choice to get the upgrade.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. I thought the Neg was a direct replacement too... @Exige will confirm either way I'm sure :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. When I designed this kit I left the origional negative in place as it was easier. To be honest I didn't even check if it rooted into the loom as my Earth went elsewhere, but I think it is separate so can be replaced.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Iirc, it is the original positive terminal that has an extra wire crimped into it, so needs to be piggybacked for the sake of simplicity.
    If this is correct, then it is the original negative terminal and lead that are essentially redundant and can be discarded.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. IMG_2008.JPG
    One of these?

11. Kind of, but the ones that are on have a crimp end instead of the screw thread

12. The negative terminal is the weak point of the loom..... Look a bit further back and you'll see pretty much every earth cable on the bike is crimped into the back of it......
    They're not listed as they are an integral part of the loom.
    Using one of Exiges kits is a good idea, but it won't solve the problem. That connector still needs to be connected to an earth and you need to be sure that all the cable are intact and good. A lot of the quirky electrical gremlins start in that connector, I'm sure of it.........

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. Thanks so full circle :laughing: Anyone know where I can get a crimpy battery connector thingy for my negative/earth cable??

DSCN0841.JPG

#13 saxman, Nov 20, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  14. Might be simplest to get an auto electrician to snip the small crimped in wires from your broken terminal and crimp them into a ring connector to go onto your battery terminal with Exige’s cable

15. Maybe off someone who has replaced a kit on a different Ducati where the cable is replaced totally - anyone? Or a second hand original cable from the tinternet perhaps. Not sure how easy it will be to prise apart without snapping though.
    Do you have a picture of the broken terminal?

16. The simplest solution is to buy a standard battery earth lead and connect it from the -ve terminal to the earth point at the rear cylinder along with the broken OEM earth lead. This will restore the earth path to the engine and maintain the earth to all the smaller wires that are crimped into the OEM earth lead. You could also do this with Exige's kit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. He was fitting one when it broke Derek.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. There could be enough length on them to do that - looking at this picture you can see wires that splice into the loom running towards the terminal.

Ducati 999 Cable Routing to Starterc.jpg

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information