1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Icon Right Bike For Me?

Discussion in 'Scrambler' started by bakes0310, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Like the look of the bikes and at a reasonable prices as well. I currently have a triumph Tiger 800xc and I ride my bike all year round and I take my partner on the back on occasions during the summer for days out. I also use it for work so need luggage space as well. I really don't know the difference between the scrambler range. What would be the cheapest one for my needs?

2. The cheapest one is usually the icon. The only difference between them is a few bolt on bling bits....engine , frame and running gear are all the same (although i think the desert sled has different forks, could be wrong though) for twos up id suggest a rear shock upgrade, as for luggage theres a fair few options out there.
    Take one for a ride, if you like it thats all good....if you love it, youll make it work for whatever your needs are!
    All said n done they are amazingly fun bikes

3. I'd also suggest a rear shock upgrade. The rear shock is hard as hell although actually works better 2 up. The Desert Sled has a 21" front wheel as well as fully adjustable suspension. I think it's also the most expensive in the range a £9,395. The Sixty 2 is the cheapest at £6,650 but it is only 400cc and 40bhp, aimed at the A2 license class.

4. Thanks for the quick replies.
    I've had look and if I did get a scrambler I would go with the icon, how much are they going for?
    Also looked at the accessories and I can get some decent luggage options.
    I would love termagali exhaust but they cost about £900 doesn't ducati dealerships sell them with the bike for free at certain times of the year?
    How do I go about getting the rear shock upgraded is that an option I can pick in a dealership?

5. If I can't find the right bike soon might sell my termi race can

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. There are some scrambles exhausts in the parts and accessories for sale section on here for around £350 iirc...

Not sure about Ducati doing them for free at certain times, someone else may be able to advise on that for you... Thought the used termi's for sale may be useful for you though ;)

7. I would take one for a very long test ride if I were you, they are not the most comfortable bike!, harsh suspension front and rear, seat not comfortable, I have replaced my Icon seat with a leather one from the Italia model, it's a definite improvement but you still need a coffee stop every 50 miles or so, I think you'd be disappointed with the Ducati in comparison to the Triumph TBH, I've got several bikes so i can use my scrambler for what it does best, short quick blasts on country lanes, it's terrific fun in that environment, then my CBR1000F for touring, my 900ss for quick B roads and my CR750 replica for when I think I'm a 1970's road racer (Taking it to the TT this year, can't wait!), but if you're thinking of having a scrambler as your only bike , don't !

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Thanks for all the replies. I changed my mind from an icon to a full throttle after looking at them in the dealership. If i was to get one i would look into the rear suspension upgrade, which one should i get and how much are they?
    Also the accessories i would get are a wind shield, luggage bags and top box, and after testing the seat out for a while i decide then if i need to change it, and that goes for the suspension as well.

9. I have an Icon - which I have Andreani front suspension upgrade and an Ohlins rear shock

I also have a Sargent Seat (much better than Ducati Comfort Seat) I also have played around with mudguards and crash bungs and protection etc...

Bike is a GREAT bike - fun...

I did 125 miles this morning for a ride - had to stop at 90 miles for a coffee and a stetch - i can do the full 125 miles - but the last bit hurts unless I stop for a while.

I have a Multi DVT also and both are great bikes - different - but great.

The multi does the 125 mile round trip without stops and probably recon on a good day (me that is) i could add another 20 or 30 before my ass says - stop - but it needs fuel at 150 miles - the scrambler needs fuel at 125.

I have them both on PCP - I will definately buy the scrambler - as I have probably put £2.5K into it - but the multi will have most of its bits stripped and go back and a new one taken out..

Why? The scrambler is simple - easy to maintain - so I am not worried about expensive bills when warranty expires.

The Multi is complicated - tightly packaged and probably hefty bills if something goes wrong due to all its complex wizardry...

I have had the bikes 18 months or so - Multi has 7500 miles and scrambler just under 5000 miles.

This from a guy who used to do 2000 to 3000 a year on previous Honda's or Yamaha's - That's how much I like BOTH bikes.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. I think the front suspension is more in need of upgrade than the rear, I'm not saying the rear is good though

11. I don't want to be anti duke, but a scrambler 2 up with luggage ?? Would the 800 trumpet he's on not be better ? Or a bigger more capable 2 up duke :thinkingface:

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. IMO definitely yes, to my thinking the scrambler is more of a one up short trip play thing, not a 2 up mile muncher, in one of my posts above I suggested the OP has a very long test ride on one before purchasing the Scrambler or moving away from the triumph, don't get me wrong I love my Scrambler but they are not all rounders.

13. On my FT I changed the seat for the Ducati comfort seat if going over about 50 MLS it does get uncomfortable normally around town or short trips I use the STD seat
    I think the STD seat looks better
    Haven't done anything with the suspension find it ok
    The cafe racer seams ok as it comes

14. When I rode one it was so much fun, but that fun came from throwing it around down country lanes. Certainly no two-up tourer and no good for mileage.

It's a perfect bike to have in your garage, if it's in addition to something more capable. That is unless you live in the city and just use it like that. This is basically what it was designed for, so hipsters could use it to commute around cities to their local vape bar or anti-establishment protest. It's just that whilst doing that, Ducati went and made it so much fun that normal people cottoned on and started buying them.

15. There are no normal people on here! :joy:

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information