1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rip Thread

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Rushjob, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Just heard that Mick Walker has passed away following a long illness.

Sad to hear.

RIP Mick.

2. Michael John Gilbert Walker (30 November 1942 – 8 March 2012),[1] commonly known as Mick Walker, was acknowledged as one of the world's leading motorcycle authorities.[2][3][4] Walker was a British former motorcycle dealer and racer with a particular interest in Italian motorcycles, who played a key role in popularizing the Ducati marque in Britain, but was also an expert on numerous other models of motorcycle dating from the 1950s to the present. He was the writer of over 130 published books,[5] most of them motorcycle marque histories, although he has also written restoration guides and biographies of a number of racing stars, including Giacomo Agostini, Geoff Duke, Bob McIntyre, Sammy Miller and John Surtees. His autobiography is to be published in 2012.

I looked him up, I suppose not that many of us knew him but seems he played a fairly big part in bringing Ducati to our attention

3. Not sure about that - as you state above, he wrote well over a hundred books (82 still listed on Amazon) and must have been one of if not the best known motorcycle authors in the country.

4. well I generally have haven't read much on the bike front apart from the usual foggy, rossi bios' but I doubt too many knew about his involvement in bringing the marque to uk...just an assumption on my half..its a name i have never heard mentioned at bike meets etc...anyway RIP there are plenty who no doubt knew him very well

5. #6 duke1276, Jul 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  6. RIP Jon. He practically invented the Hammond Organ sound, for me.

• Like Like x 1
  7. That is sad. I saw Deep Purple play at Knebworth in '85, one of the best gigs (apart from the familiar rain) I ever saw. RIP

8. With you Loz... until JL it was just an old farts instrument to me, but at least he made a good old age considering his lifestyle :)

Seems mosty of the bods I watched at gigs during the 70's/80's are dropping off the planet ..... but Lemmy seems to just keep going !

Surprised Gillan hasn't posted on this thread :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Gillan? He couldn't remember song lyrics back when he was young, how's he going to remember his forum password now, in his old age? :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Baker hasn't gone yet...............or is he in fact a hologram and has already been gone a long time?....A bit like Keef Richards really...

Still.....Deep Purple were one of the best around in the 70s....I jammed for a short session with Coverdale and Blackmore in about 1975...can't recall who else was there.

AL

• Like Like x 1
  11. keyboards are never sexy in a rock band although they can often add a vital component-ask rick wakeman, david bryan, claude schnell (dio) etc etc. plus they can always be relied upon to get your laptop working if youre naive enough to attempt music making using Microsoft Windows. its always a sad day when a legend band member dies.
    changing the subject a little bit-i will always remember Ronnie james Dio with fondness, a fury of powerhouse vocals, huge range, arguably the iffiest barnet in metal and sporting stack heels that were a good foot higher than gene Simmons', but a singer with such conviction in his voice. he sounds like he should be 6'8, not 4'8 and that made him all the more ridiculstupdenous..in fact, he was about 6'8 when he put his black velvet slippers on.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Very sad news,listening to planet rock as usual,where is the tribute programme guys!they dont make em like they used too.RIP

13. RIP Jon Lord, you and your band were the soundtrack of my youth...The first music album that I bought was Machine Head, Awesome!!!! I'll never forget you...

• Like Like x 1
  14. Amazing man, and truly went where no human had ever been before! What a thing for one of us to have done..

15. He's only gone to wave the flag about a bit......

AL

16. Sad news, legend.

17. Very sad.

The Apollo program was one of, if not the, highlight of the 20th Century. To have been a part of it must have been amazing but he was at its pinnacle.

#20 johnv, Aug 25, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
Do Not Sell My Personal Information