1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Road Trip - Oregon/ N California Coast

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by wroughtironron, Mar 18, 2018.

1. Am doing a 2 week road trip later this year, (car not bike) with the first week going from San Francisco to Boise Idaho (visiting son, his wife and grandkids).

Second week is currently open to suggestion - possibly driving from Boise through Bend (Oregon where we've stayed before) then going to Newport and taking the coast South towards SF.

Ain't done this bit of the States before - anyone been to Newport, Eureka, or Mendocino ? Are they worth booking hotels for a couple of nights?

• Like Like x 2
  2. Sounds great Ron. Enjoy. :upyeah:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Not been that way either
    Got married in SF a few years back. Drove from there to New Orleans over three weeks. Meeting folks along the way and listening to their stories made it an unforgettable experience with some very interesting scenery along the way.

• Like Like x 3
  4. I know it's not on your current itinerary, but just so you know the coast road is closed at Big Sur (South of SF heading to Malibu)..... messed up part of our trip last year.

#4 AirCon, Mar 18, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2018
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Didn't know that, but as you say, it's not on the itinerary. :upyeah::upyeah::upyeah:

6. If you could go East from SF through Yosemite/Mammoth Lakes etc ? That's awesome, we went there and turned South through Death Valley down to Vegas a few years back. Yosemite stunning mate :upyeah:

PS. Avoid Reno on the way up to Boise, it's shit :poop:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Done Yosemite twice and it's awesome. One night in Reno after Lake Tahoe, en-route to Boise. It's been nearly 20 years since I visited, and it was shit then - obviously not changed :(

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. pink_cadillac2.jpg Ron,not done the state's yet so can't help,,but have you driven the Big american Car thing:thinkingface:

#8 XH558, Mar 19, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Avoid Pizza hut in Lake Tahoe.... they served us a raw pizza.
    .. wow... I know how to treat a girl!

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. Got caught speeding by Kennewick State Police when doing 82mph in this on a 70mph highway in 2016, when driving from Seattle to Boise.
    upload_2018-3-19_12-26-53.png

• Like Like x 2
  11. At least you got out alive and they didn't shoot you:D

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Mmmm, 59 caddie. . Nice :sob:o_O

13. [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. Love the ponytail:upyeah:

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Sounds like a good holiday Ron but when i read the title i thought you was taking me away on holiday :sun::beer::party:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  16. Yep, been that way many times when I lived out there. Eureka is great as is Mendocino. Drive down The Avenue of the Giants. Definitely worth booking hotels in advance. One of my favourite places near the northern coast is the Benbow Inn. Also, have you been to Crater Lake and Mt Lassen national park?

17. Crater Lake is a possibility - will look into it after Bend. Never heard of the Benbow Inn, but after googling it, will look into it as will the Avenue of Giants. - Many thanks

18. Are you spending anytime in SF?
    If yes, only book the car for when you leave. Parking is very expensive.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. Enjoy the trip, post pics :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Avoiding SF - been there a couple of times, plan is to stay 1st night in Pacifica (12 miles from airport) then drive to Lake Tahoe, - resort fee is $28 per night (free parking though) :(

Do Not Sell My Personal Information