1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rod Ends - 2 Or 3 Piece Design???

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by tboooe, Sep 26, 2020.

1. I got new rearsets for my 848 and have decided to replace the 2 M6 male rod ends of the shift linkage and the M6 female rod end on the rear brake side. In my search for some good quality rod ends I have across 2 piece and 3 piece designs. I think the benefit of a 3 piece design is that the race can be made to fit better on the bearing before they are swagged into the rod end body. The drawback is that this design is not meant for applications that put a lot of side load on the rod end? Also, when I do a search for high precision rod ends I also see 2 piece designs as well so is the 3 piece version actually better? I know for the shift linkage any cheapo rod end will do but I am just curious in general.

2. I think you've summed it up, answered yourself perfectly already.. just chose your application and adhere to the spec that comes with the joint, specification of some of these on front, top wishbone outer joints ought to have given race car designers endless sleepless nights in their day but never seemed to. :thinkingface:

Friction is another factor worth looking at as it's in your gearchange, some drag more than others, worse when older etc etc.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information