1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

749 Rough Running

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by xander296, Aug 28, 2018.

1. I went out yesterday, and after stopping for a while then filling up at a shell garage, the bike was really rough running and didnt really want to rev much past 8000rpm, it would but was lumpy, really didnt sound happy, stopped again then on the way home it was fine revved clean and was smooth again? Anyone seen this before any ideas what could have caused it?

2. It got wet before I stopped for a bit would that cause it?

3. It could well have been due to the wet, possibly the front coil.
    Steve

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Thanks, I will keep an eye on it see how it goes next ride, it was lumpy felt lijelike it wasnt firing right, is there a fix for the front coil, to make more waterproof, if that was the problem.

#4 xander296, Aug 28, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  5. Later versions of the coil are less susceptible, best to check the cleanliness and location of the connector which on early models is right on the spray line off the front wheel. Later ones have a flying lead and plug should be located away from that area, sometimes however the flying lead can get pinched by the fairing and shorts against the frame.

6. Later versions will retrofit with no problems or modification necessary and can be found on Ebay fairly cheaply.

7. Good to know, I will see next time its damp if it runs fine until it gets damp I wil pick up a later coil as thats more than likely the problem.

Thanks

8. Hi how do you tell an older spec to a newer spec? Is it just the lengh of the fly lead? How long is the later one

9. Part numbers from what I remember.
    Try looking at the Stein Dinse website for part numbers

10. Old spec coil connection is directly to top of coil itself. The later type has the fly lead.

11. ok that makes sense, is it just the connection that is bad, cant I just silicon the connection up?

12. Wouldn’t say so. The old connection allows ingress of water into the coil stick and usually shows up as a short. You can try sealing it up, if it works then you’ve saved... nothing to lose

13. Yeh I guess as the bike runs fine now, so if I seal it hopefully it wont get any more water/damp in it, and with the way the weathers going it will be easy to test

#13 xander296, Sep 10, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  14. Fuel pump relay?

15. Is that the one behing the battery box, I have that on order should be here today

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. That's the one.

17. Do you think it could have been that getting damp

18. They tend to fail rather than perform intermittently, It's worth replacing with the later sealed version anyway but I doubt it's the issue here.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information