1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Round The World Trip To Celebrate 90 Years Of Ducati

Discussion in 'Front Page Articles' started by El Toro, Apr 23, 2016.

• Worldwide trip on the new Multistrada 1200 Enduro to start out from Borgo Panigale on 4th July 2016, exactly 90 years after the company's founding
    • As it completes the various stages of the journey, the bike will carry a special torch to symbolise that burning Ducati passion
    • Applications to be one of the 7 globetrotters who will relay the flame over the 30,000 km route are now being taken
    Borgo Panigale, Bologna, 20 April 2016 – Ducati is getting ready to celebrate a major anniversary: its 90th. The glorious Ducati brand was founded on 4 July 1926. Now, exactly 90 years later, we're celebrating by riding the world, taking in those places that have played a key role in the firm's impressive history.

Starting out from Borgo Panigale, the route will head east across Europe. It will then follow the legendary Trans-Siberian route, taking in Russia, Mongolia, China and then Japan before crossing the ocean to the USA and heading back home across Western Europe. Before returning to Borgo Panigale, the closing miles of this round-the-world trip will include the exhilarating bends of the Futa Pass near Bologna (where many Ducati bikes have been developed and tested over the years). The expected return date is 15 December 2016.

The star of this tough 30,000 km 120-day odyssey will be the new Multistrada 1200 Enduro. The new Borgo Panigale-built multibike will, quite literally, be a 'torch bearer', carrying a special flame designed by the Ducati Style Center: a fitting symbol for that passion which burns so bright in Ducati.

The trip will be divided into seven stages, to be completed by seven different riders. True globetrotters that Ducati aims to start selecting over the coming days. Ducati is looking for seven people with a taste for adventure; we'll be choosing the most expert applicants, people who will be entrusted with both bike and torch, ambassadors of Ducati passion travelling the roads of the world.

Applicants need to be competent motorcyclists with wanderlust and will also need to have a good level of English. Another key quality will be a natural gift for storytelling, in both written and photographic form. Ducati is thus looking for bloggers or travellers used to writing and talking about their experiences on both traditional and social media, people with a talent for sharing their experiences, emotions and passion for adventure.

Initial candidate assessment will give rise to 14 finalists. These will then go through a secondary selection process involving evaluation of riding skills and psycho-aptitude testing under the supervision of a professional team that includes former Paris-Dakar racer Beppe Gualini. This second phase will decide the names of the 7 globetrotters to ride the new Multistrada 1200 Enduro, relaying the Ducati torch along some of the world's most beautiful, enthralling roads.

To apply please fill in the form on the website: Ducati - Globetrotter 90

1. @Sam1199 - get your application in NOW!! :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. I do enjoy been a contrarian & find over the past decade peoples willingness to sell their souls. Aberrant & seemingly ill mannered, standards have dipped over my fourty plus years of sanity. And places like youtube have not helped by paying uploaders & have only recently made some amendments by forcing advertizers & paid influencers to state that they are been paid to (like) talk about a product or at least promote it. We are falling into a crevasse of menial nodding automatons & baying too big business all to quickly.

I have plans to circumnavigate the globe on a motorbike/overlanding lorry project. And certainly wish those winning people well, & with a backer like ducati you're no doubt going to be swigging fizz on the beach & having an amazing time. However scornfully I have frequented the adventure scene for long enough to realize that aside from it been a project to publize a well honed machine & the plethroa of sales it can enable.

For me there has to be a more fullfilling side purpose such as spreading green technology, raising young minds into holistic thinking techniques towards nature & wild-life. It could certainly sound like I want developing nations to encapsulate tree-hugging but more so, we can help those nations leap frog the mistakes of our own societies. In the uk we provide no path for migrating deer, badgers, foxes & the constant genocide of nocturial enviroments has pushed predatory birds onto the edges of motorways like nothing I've seen before. Farmers are paid grants backed by vile chemical companies too sterilize land & then become dependent upon fertilizers for growth of crops. Luckily with the power of the internet & english been a world-wide language. Activists & concerned groups can find out what lurkers in the shadows of GMO products & their pitfalls. From indian sucides too bletched water courses, big business has only a singular policy in mind. There own profitability & longevity, I'm all for progress but not if we are going too become rich-bystanders to other nations losing valuable natural assets.

Go watch the film; my dinner with andre for a taste of my distrust of big-business & how grass routes & green ideology needs to prevail over an ever speculative profit margins.

(apologies for spelling mistakes & if my grammar is shite, I hold my hands up)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Tour mondiale eh there's probably a couple on here that could manage the Dorking to Box Hill leg :upyeah: as long as it's the 2nd Sunday in the month and there isn't a cloud in the sky or a nasty breeze threatening to disrupt proceedings :D

Sent from my DG65T-366-JKbd73/MH6TH8888:1000-Ver39b using Tapatwat

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Fantastically funny. Me and Bazzer were laughing out loud.

5. F
    Funny old life isn't it.

6. Yep ;)

7. I would be more interested if they were going to include a counter for the number of times stopped to replace bits that've fallen off, repaired dodgy bits of wiring, etc...
    (takes cover and waits for incoming...)

8. Has anyone else entered this? I entered and I haven't even had any confirmation that they received my entry. Has anyone else had any confirmation?

9. Entered and only got through to selection stage. I needed to confirm my availability for a meeting on 14/06 nr Florence. I can do this date just and work shuffled my mtgs Mrs gave green light :)

Waiting to see if I get the call...

The day would be full on, physical, aptitude, mechanical skills and off road riding skills.
    There is no back up other than dealers on the trip.

Fingers crossed - I think....

Got an e mail yesterday telling me I'd need to bring my Mx gear - was hoping to hand luggage.

Oh and I have to find the travel for this mtg. After that and of accepted it's on them.

G

10. I got the same. I confirmed my availability and received another email which I thought shortlisted me.
    It ended:

Good day and see you soon,
    The Globetrotter team

However, on reading it again I am not at all clear if I'm in or if I have to wait till next week to find out.
    Very confusing and I was just about to book a flight. Suspect something's lost in translation.

I've emailed back and asked for clarity. Heard nothing yet.

Good luck...but not quite as much luck as I'd like!

11. Mmmm I agree definate lost in translation, almost feels like a scam!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information