1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 Rs Or Not Rs?

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Gingertom, Oct 6, 2017.

1. Needing some expert opinions on frame numbers. I was looking at buying a 748RS: bike looks amazing and 'right'. However, Ducati have the frame number and engine number down as a 748R. So, my question is would the Ducati database differentiate between an R and an RS (in which case this may be an aftermarket modded R) or could it be that Ducati simply don't recognise the difference between the two, so it still could be a genuine RS?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. I will need to follow this up when I get back home to the UK at the weekend for access to some of my historical documentation but I would be surprised if a factory 748RS frame and engine cases were numbered, although that would not preclude 748R frames and cases being taken from the production line to supply customer teams as there were no differences between the R and RS. The differences were internal to the cases such as gear clusters and cams. Pankle rods changed design from a sharp edged H section to a more rounded H section in 2001. I have 2 verified 748RS engines built in the UK that do not have numbers and a 748RS engine with doubtful history that has numbers that have been ground out. If you would like to PM me what you are looking at I will be happy to discretely delve a little to give you some confidence. Andy

3. Andy you're a legend

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Cheers all, really appreciate the help. Andy, I'll pm you

5. Am thinking the only one who giggles at “Pankle Rod”?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. There are a great number of other differences between the R bikes and RS's. Andy will know far more than me, but positing pictures of the bike may also help it being identified as genuine or not.

I see you're in the UAE. Me too. Maybe catch you one of these days.

7. I know the differences of the different rs models but not sure of what the frame and engine numbers should be. The later 2001 rs had ohlins front and digital dash. Pre 2001 had showa forks and analogue dash.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Hey Bullitt, thanks for the post and yes, Andy is super helpful! Enjoy the sunshine!

9. Hey Bullitt, thanks for the post and yes, Andy is super helpful! Enjoy the sunshine!

10. its the default reaction i believe. anything else is unhealthy

11. It appears was the customer race bikes and "F" bikes, when sold had numbers, when the frames were damaged, un-numbered frames replaced the original ones, which then had paper stickers which had the original frame numbers on them for X border Customs identification requirements, it is thought also that as frame numbers are hard to view behind the water ballast tanks caused the requirement, The same with engines; the cases as per the then current design had significant longevity issues and were I think?? replaced after 2 meetings the new cases were un-stamped. This suggest each bike was issued with ID stickers for replacement frames and the engine numbers were unconsidered for inter country travel and Custom purposes. If this is wrong please correct me?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Its Pankl without the e (Pankl includes CP pistons and Carrillo rods as quality components within their product range) not sure that affects the default reaction. Not to be confused with this http://www.animatedengines.com/wankel.html

13. Greater commonality in the 748 R> RS, how ever nothing came from a 996R and 998R to the rs and F0' models similar dimensions different materials forks different, axles different, swing arms different, fairing different everything different, didnt even use the same bolts, tyre valves? nothing I can think of, the 996R is no racebike compared to a RS; looks similar? I know bore and stroke the same? even the 996R con rods are different to RS items

Do Not Sell My Personal Information