1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rsf Racing - Ducati Trioptions Cup

Discussion in 'Racing & Bike Sport' started by Spence, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Yes very.

2. Living in the wrong flipping country!
    [​IMG]

3. Harley-Davidson rider

4. Nothing really to report from Donington so far... 3 words.

WET WET WET

• Like Like x 1
    • Crap Crap x 1
  5. good luck buddy, are you coming over to the Assen round?

6. IMG_5717.JPG What a weekend!

Ducati Trioptions Cup, Round 1 - Donington Park

With this being the first race weekend since a bad crash in April 2017, there was a lot of apprehension, nerves and thoughts of the unknown. Having built the bike over the past year, I knew it was ready. Just had to get head up to speed and in the game as quick as possible. The weather for the weekend was indicating heavy rain fall and potentially snow on the Monday, not the best conditions, but got to get on with it.

Practice - Having never ridden the bike in the wet, practice was a massive confidence inspiring ride. The bike felt like it was on rails and didn't have any moments. With a river at old hairpin and a soaking wet track, I was happy to just get around and get some bike time. Times weren't great but knew I could build on it.

Qualifying - Qualifying come round and the rain had stopped. Decision was made to go out on full wets as track was still damp and reports of a river was still at bottom of craner curves and old hairpin. Set of out on track and tagged onto a few guys to find out where there was grip and where there wasn't. Throughout the session a dry line was starting to appear, I made the call to come back in and see how much time was left. With 6 mins to go we were sitting 22nd. Lots of teams had already made the call, to come in and put a dry in. Unfortunately we didn't have enough time, so few suspension changes and went out for the final few mins to get a flying lap in. The Out lap was going well, setting fastest sectors of the session. Then on the flying lap, 2 riders had come off in separate incidents and I had to slow. The guys that got dry rears in managed some flying laps in and I finished qualifying in 27th.

Race 1 - What a baptism of fire! Race 1 was like no race we’ve ever been in. With this being the first time out on dry tyres all weekend, settings where a best guess. The race didn't go too well. Ended up going backwards at the start and struggled to gain the time back and get with the group in front. I finished the race 31st but lots learnt to take forward and prepare for race 2.

Race 2 - Yet another wet race, this was wet wet wet! The start was better and knew I had to fight hard on the start to hold my position. By turn 2 I'd already managed to take 2 places and already gaining speed. This race was going to be about survival. I managed to get in a good position and knew I just had to hold it there, despite seeing the next place just few seconds in front. Racing round the track I kept seeing more and more incidents, and the laps were going down. To come over the finish line in 25th I was happy with that.

This weekend has been a real eye opener. Everyone on that grid is fast. I'm really glad to be here and racing. It's been a massive learning curve this weekend and now chomping at the bit to get back out on the bike at Brands Hatch in few weeks time. Really hoping for some dry, warmer weather so I can push on some and get the results I really want.

I'd like to say a massive thanks to everyone that came to help and support, pit crew and just to get me through this weekend, it's been insane! I would name you all but that would be a paragraph on its own.... but also to all those who have messaged, texted, phoned and emailed. Everyones support is so much appreciated.

Obviously couldn't do this without the support from all my sponsors and those that allow me to race. THANK YOU!

GMR Projects

Chamois Consulting

Team Army

Army Sport Control Board

Royal Electrical & Mechanical Engineers - REME

HEL Performance

Eazi-Grip Tank Grips

Motul in UK

Quality reflections

Direct Distribution Services

K-Tech Suspension

Conquest Carbon - Motorcycle Performance Parts

Evotech Performance

Racebikebitz Samco Distribution

Holroyd Tyrewarmers

Photo credits to Camipix Photography

IMG_5709.JPG

• Like Like x 5

7. Yes should be there

• Like Like x 2
  8. We nearly made it !!

• Like Like x 1
  9. 8792971B-4AEC-4CFB-B35C-EC649632898A.jpeg 66916289-ECE0-4C31-AF5E-136C96020604.jpeg 88738583-B436-484D-BC4B-671CACA28852.jpeg Ducati Trioptions Cup, Round 2 - Brands Hatch

Normally race reports finish with the thank you’s, but I couldn’t have got to the grid with out the team around me this weekend. So massive thank you to those who were there to get me on the grid, my Dad Roy, Andy, Carl, Iain and Graham!

So with Brands hatch race weekend being nearly a year to the day of the massive accident that happened in 2017, which resulted in a broken neck, back, elbow and hand, I knew Its was going to take some time to get up-to speed and build confidence in a certain corner. Graham Hill.

Free Practice on Friday having rained throughout the night, was very sketchy with wet patches of track, but a cold dry line was coming through. Practice went relatively well gaining speed and confidence and getting bike time which is key.

Qualifying saw us getting some good laps in, but something needed to change. On coming into the pits we made some suspension changes and within the first lap took over half a second off. With some positive feedback we made some more changes and finished qualifying in 27th out of the 38 riders, not a bad start but there was more to find.

Race 1. The first dry race of the season! Having adjusted the clutch to get a better biting point, it had gone just gone a bit too far. The start was not great and lost 7 places into the first corner and lap. The race was now going to be hard to get back those places lost. After some great battles and some sneaky over taking I finished 25th and got down close to the personal best lap time.

Race 2. All pumped and ready to see if the changes from race one would work, we were as a team ready to fight. That wasn’t to be, with the heavens opening 15 mins before our race, the team swapped out the wheels and got our wets on, wet suspension settings in, and complete different strategy to the race. It was about fight hard but staying on and finishing was a must. The race went well having a better start I managed to stay with the pack for a number of laps and guys I thought I should be battling with. But after a few slides, seeing people leaving the circuit and the pack stretched out too much gap. I played it safe to finish the race in 24th wasn’t a great position but good to bring myself and he bike home safely.

Roll on round 3 at Oulton Park, Cheshire.

Can not forget to thank for the support from all my sponsors and those that allow me to race. THANK YOU!

GMR Projects

Chamois Consulting

Team Army

Army Sport Control Board

HEL Performance

Eazi-Grip Tank Grips

Motul in UK

Quality reflections

K-Tech Suspension

Evotech Performance

Holroyd Tyrewarmers

WIZ Racing Products

Photo credits Camipix Photography

• Like Like x 3
  10. Great to see you Spence. It's a hardcore thing getting back there and giving it full beans after the big accident so huge respect for that from us. The conditions looked pretty horrible for the last race but at least once it chucked it down you knew what tyres to use! The drunken Italian says hi by the way!!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ducati Trioptions Cup, Round 3 - Oulton Park

What a weekend!!!

Having attended the pre race BSB test we found a good setting and already on PB’s.

Free Practice on Saturday having left the settings in the bike from the test a week prior, we thought we would be straight in there. With the higher temperatures, it was found the bike was sliding and moving a lot more. Few suspension tweaks and tyre pressure dropped, and think we were prepared for qualifying.

Qualifying saw us getting some good laps in, then a PB. The bike was handling so much better and we were able to push on that little bit more. So with 3 mins to go, I went for a flying lap hoping to get up the table a bit more. Setting fastest times in sector 1 & 2 unfortunately caught a slower rider and had to make a over take which in turn ruined the lap. But all was good. Qualified 26th out of the 38 riders, not a bad start but there was more to find.

Race 1. The hottest day so far this year and we were racing on one of the most physically demanding tracks in the UK. And what a track oulton is. The race started and we got right into the mix having built confidence over past few sessions to push hard. The first few laps were going well and staying with the pack. But then it started to happen, chronic arm pump made me struggle to hang on, change gear and brake hard as we wanted. So gears were missed and times started to increase. Just had to hang on and hope for the best at every turn. To finish the race was amazing, but to finish in the best position so far this year was mega! Started 26th finished 20th!!! B391E797-0690-47E3-A1D9-58ECF97653B7.jpeg

Race 2. With a great race on Sunday, We were eager to get going, which is now the hottest bank holiday recorded. The track was showing signs it was going to be tough on the tyres and slippery. The start was good and managed to take a few positions and be get in touch with some of the top boys. Few laps in and the moves were getting harsher, having been put nearly on the grass at cascades 2 laps in a row. Time was to sit and chase. Chasing hard though brought back the arm pump. It wasn’t good, as the gap increased to our front, the gap back to another rider decreased and was all about holding the defensive lines to the finish. We achieved that and didn’t allow anyone else to pass. Finishing Race 2 in 23rd.

This weekend has been by far the best so far this season, great results and building confidence in the bike and tyres.

Now have a long break until round 4 at Snetterton circuit in Norfolk. So it’s bike strip, clean, check and prepare time.

Last thing to say is a massive thanks to Andy, Carl and Loz for pit crewing, and to those that came to support me this weekend. Also Cannot forget to thank all my sponsors and those that allow me to race. THANK YOU!

GMR Projects

Chamois Consulting

Team Army

Army Sport Control Board

BAMA

HEL Performance

Eazi-Grip Tank Grips

Motul in UK

Quality reflections

K-Tech Suspension

Evotech Performance

Holroyd Tyrewarmers

Photo credits to Camipix Photography

93CDD886-71DD-4AD9-86C0-7A4E40B95098.jpeg

404D2C41-BC85-4592-9D1C-0B768C67FE67.jpeg

C9EEEBE2-350F-443F-BD02-F075B4396FAF.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  12. Sorry been a bit quiet recently but nothing really happening since Oulton.

Managed to get on track at Snetterton yesterday and all was going well but then......To cut a long story short my bike locked up and threw me off so on the hunt for a clutch casing and throttle asap.

Anyone.

TIA

Spence

IMG_6189.JPG

IMG_6196.JPG

IMG_6197.JPG

13. Awwww no! I went Oulton and totally forgot to pop over aswell best morning of luck

14. sorry to hear the bad news, hoping the only damage is to the bike!!

what was the reason for the bike locking up? motor problems?

15. I’m all ok less broken toe. I stripped bike down when I got home. Nothing obvious but can’t start as casing etc broken. Bikes now in with Ducati to get engine stripped.

16. If you are proper stuck for the engine casing Spence and you don't mind using an old 899 single piece part then I think I have one of those in the garage. Take it the dealer it's in with can't get hold of one.?

I'm assuming the 899 will fit of course, you'll need to check.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Thanks, got one on order but ducati have recently moved warehouse and orders are taken a while to come through. Got a few that might have a casing, so following those leads up too.

• Like Like x 1
  18. So for those not on my social media.

It’s with great sadness, we will unfortunately not be attending the next round at Snetterton.

Whilst riding on track last week, the bike had a massive engine failure. Thus resulting it needing stripped and rebuilt. With the time constraints and the big money involved to have this repaired with potentially needing a new engine, we are having to pull out from this round.

But we will be back, Brands Hatch GP in July

Massive shout out to all that have helped so far this year, it’s greatly appreciated, and couldn’t have got on track without your support! THANK YOU!

If you, or know anyone that want to get involved or support us please message us. We can cater for all sponsorship budgets.

GMR Projects

Chamois Consultancy

Quality reflections

HEL Performance

Motul in UK

K-Tech Suspension

Eazi-Grip Tank Grips

Evotech Performance

Holroyd Tyrewarmers

GBRacing Premier Motorcycle Protection - GB Racing - gbracing