1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rucksacks - Which Work Best?

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by MotoNik, Feb 19, 2019.

1. I'd like to get a bike-specific rucksack - I currently have a 25 litre North Face one which has been extremely durable and even pretty waterproof, but it's a pain to get on and off over the cuffs of bike jackets. In order to stop the straps flapping about I've tied the back, so I can't easily open up the straps to make it easier to get on and off.

I'm wondering if something like a Kriega might be better, as I see some of them have a chest fastening.

Can anyone give any feedback or offer suggestions for other alternatives to look at?

Thanks in advance!

2. I use a Kriega. Best backpack I've had tbh.
    It's used when on the bike and as an everyday bag for work. Well constructed, fully adjustable and super comfortable.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Thanks Andy.

Which one do you have? How do you find it to take on and off when you're wearing a bulky bike jacket?

4. I use the R20. Never had a problem putting on or taking off.
    The Kriega's are adjustable in several places and the chest buckle is well designed
    Looks like something a base jumper would wear but very much designed for bikers

• Like Like x 1
  5. Thanks Andy.

Is it just a single internal compartment, or does it have pockets too? That's the only criticism I have of the US-20 tailpack I have - would be handy if it had divided up internal compartments.

6. I've a Kriega R15. Anything up to R25 are decent everyday sized Above an R25 they're behemoth sized.

R15 is very comfortable and also has the camel pack option to it

• Like Like x 1
  7. Thank you, Sir!

8. Ortlieb Heavyweight Drybag - PS490 / PD620

#8 GunZenBomZ, Feb 19, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  9. +1 for the Kriega.. i use the 25 for commuting and even overnight trackdays when I have to ride to them... great rucksack, hides its weight well due to the straps clicking together.. had mine for a few years and it's grubby but intact unlike my older ones which fell apart...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Kriega R35

• Like Like x 1
  11. I use Kreiga too, but the US tailpacks

• Like Like x 1
  12. Had an R35, couldn’t get on with it for everyday use and sold it on here. Sat in a weird position when fastened and was either too low, or the chest strap felt like it was too high, I could be a weird shape human tho. Also one cavernous main compartment wasn’t that practical.

Would try a smaller one in a heartbeat, as they are incredibly well made, unless you’re carrying loads everyday.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Kriega, everything everyone else said was correct. Not waterproof but go to Alpkit and order a billion various dry bags and then you don't need to care.

Other than that, a 90's / 00's Oakley Icon backpack is pretty indestructible too, similarly porous but similarly robust. Kriega just carries the weight better.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Kriega for me, an R20 I think it is, barely know I’m wearing it when on the bike

How’s the new bike?

• Like Like x 1
  15. It’s great, did a lap of Cornwall on Saturday!

47266296-D251-41D2-BE9A-E3FC4D5BAABF.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  16. Kriega here too .. R15 and R25 . Both great but neither fully waterproof but v resistant , I use the Kriega drybags

• Like Like x 1
  17. Kriega too, great but not waterproof for winter,Rainy days out

• Like Like x 1
  18. I use Kriega, had it 6-7 years now and it's a stunning piece of kit, absolutely no problems what so ever. Mine is a R25.

Worth noting the only one that's guaranteed waterproof (or was when I bought it) is the R30, which has the rolled top, mine isn't. But I've ridden in terrible weather and the stuff in side has never actually got wet! so I would say that's pretty pleasing.

I've got other friends who use these also, they really are one of the best bits of biking kit I've ever bought.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Kreiga. Buy it once. Last forever. Nothing else is comparable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. My last one was a standard north face rucksack with a back up plastic bag inside. The straps too tight issue, I simply cut the two main straps on the front, then used velcro on both parts so I could release the straps from the front by pulling the straps velcro rather than do the dance of houdini trying to get the straight jacket off

#20 noobie, Feb 20, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information