1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1299 Rust On Brakes

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by Stef, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Hey everyone. Here comes the sad time of the year when I can’t ride the machine as much as I would love. I noticed this morning some slightly rusty corners on the discs (see picture). Has anyone else had those? Any suggestions? I tried to clean the discs with Wurth disc cleaner, but didn’t seem to do much for those spots. Thank you all!!

7AC878FD-B389-4C52-B40E-D62DB6A4E016.jpeg

#1 Stef, Oct 30, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
  2. Rust comes as standard on most ducati discs o_O
    Ducati chains also suffer with it

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Brake disc cleaner will remove dust and road scum, but will not prevent corrosion.

Discs are usually made from cast iron (provides higher friction properties for stopping), which will grow a coating of rust overnight. Apart from a quick rub with a scotchbrite pad every now and then, I don't think there is much that you can do.

4. For avoidance of doubt, HE IS JOKING!!

5. ...not even in jest!

6. Yes please don't! Even though the rust isnt on the braking surface even a light wipe on the inside has the potential for contaminating pads.

In all seriousness, have you thought about a dehumidifier for your toy shed? This might help delay the onset slightly..

#7 MDUBZ, Oct 30, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
  7. Absolutely, ACF is lots better

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. My 2015 multistrada suffers from it too , seems to be a Ducati model trait

9. Most modern vehicles do. They’re only made with just enough durability to give the impression of quality. The reality is that businesses make their products as cheaply as possible and charge the maximum for them. There are also obligations now to use recycled materials, which inevitably are not the same as materials used in the 1990’s (for better or worse).

Bikes are not designed for longevity. That’s the fact.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. So this got me thinking... If you masked of the braking surface, there are some high temp paints or clear lacquers you could apply?

11. Iron remover will get rid of anything on the surface like in your pic.

Most detailing ranges have one within their range. Will be called iron remover or fallout remover, purple rain also.

Spray on, agitate with a soft brush then rinse off.

I’ve applied a ceramic coating to the edges of my discs to prevent further rusting.

Our new formula will be launched soon but there’s a list here for you to look at, https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/exterior/paint-contamination/iron-fallout

4BBAEE99-DE9C-421E-ABB6-4F747B5821CD.jpeg

12. New discs (that dont rust) - PFM is the weapon of choice myself...

13. Most of the "corrosion" is the ferrous content of the brake dust lying on the discs surface. The discs are stainless, but the brake dust embeds itself into the surface. Iron removers work a treat as above.

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. I thought it was mandatory alongside headlights and indicators?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information