1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S4r (2004 - 996) Fuel Problem

Discussion in 'Monster' started by Zhed46, Jan 9, 2021.

1. The bike has been sat outside for a while and when I came to start it last weekend, it wouldn't.

I had a proper look at it today.

It fires and runs for a couple of seconds after a squirt of Easy Start into the air box, so it seems to have a spark, unless that stuff is so volatile that the engine "diesels" without one?

I suspected water in the fuel so I siphoned the tank, and tbh a lot of brownish sludge and what was probably water came out with the first couple if inches.

I replaced the fuel with a splash of fresh stuff, but it still won't run. Because the battery is dead I had to use a booster pack, which meant raising the tank so I suppose it's possible that the fuel pump wasn't picking up the small amount of fuel in the tank when it's propped at an angle of 45 degrees plus (I'll get more petrol tomorrow and try again, obvs).

Other than that, I am thinking it might be a blocked fuel filter. Can it be changed inside the tank or does all the gubbins have to come out?

Any other ideas?

Thanks

2. Drain the tank completely, replace fuel filter and clean the injectors? Once everything’s clean if the bike still doesn’t run, you’ll be able to eliminate this as the cause...

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. you have answered your own question Zhed, as Ian sez, if you have been churning starter with only those filthy dregs for the fuel pump to gasp on then a complete refresh is almost certainly needed, chances are the filter is fully toxed up now.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Take the opportunity to replace the fuel hoses as well. I am only talking about the external ones to and from the injectors as I have no experience with what is inside the tank. Mine delaminated mid ride once and doused the cases and exhaust in fresh petrol. Lucky it did not find a source of ignition but it did yellow the engine paint, ending up in a full engine repaint.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. I’ve just WhatsApped you because not only didn’t I get notifications for these messages (@El Toro - it’s doing it again), I didn’t see your missed call either. :bucktooth:

6. Replied! :)

7. \My S4r suffered a blocked fuel filter to make it conk out just after I had filled it with petrol, making me suspect the petrol and have to make a grovelling apology to the petrol station owner after dissing them. It is meant to be a service item to replace when the bike was new and it was being serviced by Riders as it ws still under warranty. We established that it was the original filter that had never ever been changed - hence getting blocked up. So much for dealer servicing.

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. Now sorted and running perfectly again. Thankfully it was just the filter and not the pump or injectors, although @bettes told me about a really useful hack for how to clean the injectors had they been blocked. I won't repeat it here in case I miss something out, but it involves a battery and a can of WD40, so doubtless putting those search terms into google will turn up a video or two.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information