1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S4rs First Impressions

Discussion in 'Monster' started by bradders, Aug 23, 2020.

1. Managed to get a ride today, first time on this or any water cooled Monster. Been 7 years since I last rode any monster, and that had 65hp and clip ons (my avatar)

Didn’t realise how much I use a quick shifter and auto blipper. Back to clutchless shift and using the clutch for going down the box. Also didn’t realise how much a gear indicator and clock was needed!

I’d forgotten high highly geared these old Ducati’s are. It’s mad. 1st under 30 is a must. 4th under 60 is just about usable for overtaking. Top gear sir? Well over speed limit needed for vibration-free drive...!

But...the right gear and it’s smooth. Gearbox is lovely and tight. No false neutrals or any signs of clunkiness. It’s drives and demands revs. Once I stopped riding like an adventure bike, all upright position, it made far more sense. Needs to be ridden like a sports bike with slightly higher bars: which it is.

Seller said it had a clutch problem. Either slightly worn plates or dirty plates. For sure, there is a grabby/dusty/slippy kind fo feel in first pulling away and on downshifts. But, I think that’s because its a slipper :) Which if it is, what a result! I tried a few times, down 3 quick gears into roundabouts and you feel (may be audible too) a ‘slippy/dusty’ sensations from the clutch and engine braking and no hopping or lock ups. Tried quite a few times, got a bit more aggressive, same result. @RickyX said its a two min job to take off the plate and check - being I having had one in probably 15 yrs! What am I looking for?

Suspension is quite soft, so will get @cookster to pop round sand help me set sag as a start. Bars have risers, and as some know my plan is to fit clipons. TBH they are low enough for me as it is now! Need to lose a few inches first....But great to be back on a bike that fits me :) Pegs feel like sports bike rear sets and are just the right height for now.

Am I happy? Yeah, is was fun riding today even on my own. More than it has been for a while. Being is so much smaller and lighter, I dont feel like I have to be super vigilant everything time I stop or do a manoeuvre. I could properly filter slow traffic again! Given the current bonkers pricing of Ducati’s, I think I got a bargain! Which makes it all the better!

So what do I need to do next? Check the pads and discs, see if the slight vibration is pads or discs are a bit worn. Replace the C&S and change the gearing!! Tempted with 1 off the front as a minimum. Set the sag and see how that goes. Shave the key cover a bit so the tank fires properly again. It is swollen, and I need to get it off so I can fit a charging cable and a power cable for satnav etc.

Then just ride it!
    F44CDB15-7E17-466F-929D-2F56CADA3726.jpeg

839D7B9F-4C7A-4DF7-8DA1-765CE50C59E6.jpeg

• Like Like x 28
  2. Looks nice chief, sounds like it brought you some old school fun and dare I say a wee bitty smitten?
    Is it my dodgy eyesight of shadows in the pic, corrosion on the case below water pump?

3. The engine is in fairly poor state for paint flaking. It needs taking out, rubbing down and painting. Probably get it done over the winter when I get out serviced.

4. A tooth less on the front sprocket, or a few more on the back can be an effective mod to improve low speed riding, but can make “accidental” wheelies more common!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Yeah no problem mate just let me know when you want to do it :upyeah:

Sorry I couldn't make it today mate I've hanging all day!: unamused:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Glad you've found a bike that you enjoy.

Smaller and lighter are two aspects hopelessly underated imo. Its the antidote to getting a heavy bike and spending a fortune making it lighter.

That must be a slipper clutch. Otherwise you would have been doing broadway slides. Agressively downshifting on an old school Monster without locking the rear? Never going to happen.

I've changed the gearing on mine too, larger Stealth rear sprocket from Performance Parts. Though with yours having a few more ponies than mine I'd be tempted to wait a few more miles to see what you think then. Re clip ons, my 900ie needed a different top yoke. I'm don't know whether you will for yours too? I really like like mine, but they aren't as low as they could be... Time has marched on and and my body prefers a different posture these days. Mine are more like ace bars now!

Its a pretty looking bike matey...

#6 Jez900ie, Aug 24, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. You can stick them straight on he forks but they will be very low. Best solution is replace the top yoke too, as otherwise you have the bar brackets casting still here

Yes I expected rear lock and hopping but nothing but the noise/feeling :upyeah:

8. Yeah it must be a " Anti hopping Rutschkupplung" -great expression isn't it!

9. To check if it’s a slipper:
    Remove carbon cover (4 bolts)
    Remove clutch springs (6bolts)
    Take pressure plate off
    Turn it around to look at the inner face
    If it has “teeth” on the inside - standard nonslipper
    If it has no teeth - slipper
    Reverse the above process.
    Ride.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Ref slipper. Look on back of pressure plate - just pull it out a few inches. If it has teeth it’s not a slipper. If it has no teeth it is a slipper. The slipper will also have a spider washer thingy.
    Enjoy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. While you’re at it - you may want to pull the pushrod out and clean and regrease it.
    This will add another 5 minutes to the task.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. There.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Plus a random dog!

14. Dog? What dog? Hot dog? Too early for BBQ!

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. If I’m taking it out, I may as well remove and clean the plates too. Regular old grease needed and disc cleaner for the plates?

16. Yep, sounds good.
    Make sure you check the order is correct - don’t assume that they were correct initially.
    Rule #1: Trust Nobody!*

* including me!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. This might be of use as a guide only. Andy

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. Deleted dog

Do Not Sell My Personal Information