1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S4rs What Fits?

Discussion in 'Monster' started by bradders, Aug 8, 2020.

1. Now I’m going back old school, just want to check my facts on interchangeability of parts. It’s a 998 which (reading up) is a t9 motor in all but throttle bodes really.

Clutch cover - it has an open one and I’m really looking to replace with closed. Any 9** fit? What about slipper clutch? I think I’ve established 50mm clip ons should be fine, just need to find mine. Rear stand - all pre-1098 sssa ones fit ok? Same chain?sprokctes across the board again up to 1098 (although 848 fit?)

Forgive me, it’s been a long time since I had one....

Also, going for the short stubby Termi can. Looks like it has a baffle, but reading some forums/info it’s nor compatible with a decat....can only think it’s fuelling and noise?!

These old ecu’ s can be flashed can’t they for a customer map? How does a PC work on this - acceptable or not?

In the market then for:
    Rear stand
    Can
    Slipper clutch
    Possible PC

2. I removed the baffles on mine as I liked the look of the standard side swept ones.
    It’s quite a tricky job but worth it.
    It ran fine and sounded like a Ducati.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I gutted the cat on mine and was surprised how little difference it made to the sound.

4. Any dry clutch cover fits.
    Any slipper up to even 1198 will fit as long as you use the smaller nut for the drum (STM provide both sizes)
    Rear stand for any small hub (5 bolt Cush drive rather than 6)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Abba Skylift, at your age should you really be kneeling or bending down....;)

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Re: "Short stubby Termi"

Is this what you mean?

6D831A69-627B-46B2-A3D4-9E97ABE81D8B.jpeg

If so, it comes with a baffle. As you can see, mine is de-catted (if it ever had a cat) and it is very loud without the baffle in.

It is designed to slip straight on to the outlets from the cat but if you get aftermarket or de-catted downpipes, then you will probably need an swaged adapter. I bought a couple off eBay but I had trouble getting one with the correct bore differential, so I ended up taking a blow torch to the inlets and then bashing the adapter in with a mallet so when they cooled down it was shrink fitted. I then brazed spring loops onto the Termi inlets because after having once run over my own underslung end can which fell off, I don't trust clamps.

The end can offered up to the bike, showing that the Term inlets are the same size pipe as the downpipes, and hence the need for an adapter.

751E401B-B516-49BD-9089-D5DCF54E4BAF.jpeg

Inside diameter of the Termi inlets. OD is 45mm.

8663390E-1E75-46B6-B0BB-D7B19E7C9070.jpeg

Inlets fitted with the adapters. I had to heat the inlets and then bash the adapters in, but they're dead solid, plus I have also fitted loops for exhaust springs.

EC0AC545-477D-40BA-AD58-874E6F66A178.jpeg

I bought it second hand along with a set of OE downpipes for a 'stretta engine like yours but as mine is an early R with the 996 Desmoquattro lump, they don't fit. If you want to try de-catting but don't fancy butchering your OE pipes, you are welcome to have mine for free if you can collect them from Herts.

#7 Zhed46, Aug 9, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Cool, thx. Looking forward to the pic...

8. Pics posted.

Btw, if you are thinking of cafe'ing it as per your other thread, and you're going to change the tank as I did on my S4 special, you will probably need to lose the airbox and run cones instead. IIRC, I also had to swap the trumpets for shorter 916 Superbike items. Unfortunately, this has spoiled the fuelling and killed a bit of power, though it makes up for it by booming like a cannon and shooting a foot long blue flame out of the 3" bore end can on the overrun. A Power Commander might have sorted that out but tbh, I am a child, and I like the fireworks show, so I haven't bothered.

You will probably also need to relocate the battery and change it for a smaller unit. Mine has a custom made tray housing a little Panigale battery. If you want to see pics, let me know.

You might also run into clearance issues if your engine has the overhead injectors which I believe some of the later 998 engines have, but I may be talking nonsense as that was something I never fully explored because I ended up using an S4 as the donor bike. I've flagged it up just in case

#9 Zhed46, Aug 9, 2020
  9. I’d leave the tank as is, just a seat change and clip ons really if anything. More likely I’ll try clip ons and leave it there

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. Yes, that’s the can I’m looking at. Whereabouts are you? Pm me :upyeah:

11. The throttle bodies have the injectors in then, rather than being an overhead injector set up.

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. Also maybe worth a mention that the ST4s Ohlins unit is a virtual bolt in. I say virtual because you then need to mount the remote canister and adjuster. Do-able tho...

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. I really liked this, and very nearly bought it, so this is what I’d go with as max changes
    779AE8D2-9313-4528-B219-BAFE9ACBB5BF.png D2960CB9-F9E7-4457-BA0A-C79C72B04DC6.png 2776DDF1-F802-494B-8C3A-480EAB222342.png

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  14. What sprockets fit this? I know the front from almost any probably fits, what about the rear? Needs c&s

• Like Like x 1
  16. I find the "old" Monsters are set up a bit low at the back/high at the front which makes them a little lazy, so I've dropped the forks on all the ones I have ever had and will do it on my S4R when I get round to it.

I'm sure you are better at setting a bike up than I am Paul, so I hope that isn't teaching you to suck eggs! :upyeah:

#18 Zhed46, Aug 9, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  17. I tend to raise the rear on mine too. The adjuster bar on this one will take some shifting! But will be done at some point.
    Forgot ahoy tank swelling....until I tried to remove tank to fit an optimate lead today! A job for next week

18. I fitted a DID zxm 525 chain, JT 15t front sprocket and a Supersprox 43t rear.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information