1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sam1199s Rehabilitation Gofundme Page

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Monners, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Hi All,
    As most know @Sam1199S had a horrific accident on track in February of this year and if not for the excellent reaction from the trackside medics dealing with both punctured lungs he may not be here today to look handsome and have such impressively large guns!
    He is currently given only a 2% chance of walking again but whilst this is a slim I can say with 100% confidence that Sam will never give up until he becomes one of those 2%. We started spreading the gofundme page only a couple of days ago and it's already doing very well which is awesome but please do give anything you can and share it as far as possible.
    Sam has been a bit shy only putting a £7500 goal and I hope we can raise many many times that amount. His new 1199R still owes well over £20,000 finance and we are unlikely to recover more than about £8-10,000 on that, there's at least another £10,000 of rehabilitation equipment I can think of and thats still not even considering converting his house which he cannot live in at the moment. He has had some assistance from insurance and the authorities but it does not cover any of this extra equipment that he is using.

https://www.gofundme.com/482dyj-rehabilitation-costs

https://www.ducatiforum.co.uk/threa...99s-in-calafat-spain.49445/page-8#post-944811

Sam's Story - Re-building Life

On 17th February 2017 my life was turned upside down after suffering life-changing injuries which very nearly cost me my life as a result of a motorcycle trackday crash in Spain.

I lost control of my bike while braking for a corner, and within a split second I crashed into the gravel trap at high speed, and landed from a height on my back. The result was 5 broken vertebrae, 14 broken ribs, multiple punctures to both lungs, 3 pelvic fractures and ligament damage to my right ankle, and was instantly paralysed from the mid-chest down.

I was airlifted to the Val D'Hebron spinal hospital from the track where I underwent surgery to fix my spine, with two rods and various screws along a good length of my middle back.

Following the surgery the doctors gave me the news that my spinal injury was 'complete' I.e. no sensation or movement below the level of injury, and statistically I'd have a 2% chance of walking again, and any form of slight recovery was incredibly slim. Despite this news, I was adamant I would continue to work towards getting better and with the intention of one day walking again and prove them wrong. This would start with many hours of gruelling Physiotherapy learning firstly how to cope with life in a wheelchair, and learn the necessary skills required to go about daily life.

My family and girlfriend Vicky ensured that someone was there at my bedside every single day of my stay in hospital, even when out in Spain. This was huge for me as the feeling of isolation out in a foreign hospital is horrible, and I'd have struggled to cope had I been alone. Vicky even had to temporarily shut down her business to make the time to be there with me, which is an amazing commitment that I'm massively grateful for.

Daily phone calls and text messages from friends also helped keep me on the straight and narrow. When you realise that everyone is on your side, rooting for you, and keen to do anything they can to help, it's again a huge spur of encouragement. Some of my friends really got stuck in and helped to sort things out behind the scenes, visited and kept my spirits up. It's the little things that go a long way sometimes

[​IMG]

After 3 1/2 weeks in the Spanish hospital I was repatriated back to the UK via a private plane with doctors onboard in case I took a turn for the worst.
    [​IMG]

Whilst in hospital I was put into a rehab programme to maintain flexibility of the joints and start to rebuild my new life which is me being permanently in a wheelchair with no signs of any change to my condition to-date. During my stay at the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital in Stanmore I learnt a lot about my condition, how to manage my everyday needs, and essential wheelchair skills to overcome everything from uneven ground to staircases!

I also picked the brains of the top physiotherapists who are well educated on the latest developments in spinal repair and recoveries, and discovered that electro-stimulation of the muscles below the level of injury to maintain muscle had shown very positive results in patients regarding future recoveries, so I went about sourcing the same piece of equipment that I'd used at the hospital, at the crazy cost of nearly £6000! I am determined to throw everything at my recovery that shows any sign of helping me get back up and walking again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The scar...
    [​IMG]

The electro-stimulation device in use at home:
    [​IMG]
    Once out of hospital it was necessary to get a decent wheelchair of my own to make life as easy as possible. With a very small contribution towards one from the local council wheelchair services I ended up having to find nearly £3000 on top to purchase the one below! It has made a huge difference to life, but all this has come at a cost and I've had to borrow money to fund these purchases.

As well as getting to an accessible gym that I've managed to find locally, I would love to purchase a hand bike attachment to turn the wheelchair into a hand pedal bike to allow me to get out and stay active. I used to love running, so this is kind of a close replacement for me! Only trouble is, it's another £1800 :(

[​IMG]
    Below, a welcome home party following my rehab discharge thrown for me by my incredible girlfriend who has stood by me throughout the entire journey, and continues to do so now
    [​IMG]

Throughout everything I've maintained a very positive outlook on life, and have just got on with things, accepting that firstly, after the accident I'm still alive, and secondly that life isn't really that bad; just different now, but it hasn't stopped me doing much

Getting out and about down to Swanage pier for my dad's 60th
    [​IMG]
    Corfe Castle on the same trip:
    [​IMG]

My reason for fundraising is to raise money to pay for the expensive items above, and to help with day-to-day living expenses. I have a house I cannot live in due to inaccessibility of the bedrooms and bathroom which are all upstairs, and I'm awaiting a very limited chance of some funding from the council via a grant to help towards potential adaptations to make it liveable, although the amount of work required would far exceed the available grant. I'm also still off work, and aiming to return in a few months time; part time to begin with, but sick pay doesn't cover my outgoings.

I would also like to get into alternative therapies - using the power of the mind to assist in healing - but the costs of seeing therapists are preventing me doing this. Money raised would give me more options to try alternative things, and help with rehabilitation costs now I've been discharged. I hate asking for help on this, but a number of friends have suggested this idea.

Any donations would be hugely gratefully received.

Thanks,

Sam
    Help spread the word!

#1 Monners, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    • Like Like x 8
    • Love You Love You x 2
  2. Wicked scar chap (in a, I admire the action man scar on the face too) Glad to see Sam is still upbeat and pushing through

The go fund me page hasn't been listed though chap, could you?

Complete long shot, we like those, have you thought of this?

https://ssl.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006pnjk/contact

#2 noobie, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  3. yeh stick up a link dude i will happily donate

dont give up sam my mate was left in a wheeelchair after a brain injury with a similarly slim chance of walking again and he's living and teaching english in thailand with a kid on the way 7 years later

deffo do-able if you keep fighting which it sound slike you are

all the best

• Like Like x 1
  4. Fight, fight, fight and fight even more. Don't ever give up on hope. Wishing you all the best @Sam1199S x

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Do we have a link now?

6. A little coincidence - that doctor in the plane doing the transfer is a friend and fellow anaesthetist called Emil.

• Like Like x 6
  7. Oops cheers guys, I've added the link!

Thanks mate :)

8. Happy to offer you £100; which I will double if 30 members will match my hundred-quid!

Sam you might want to look into this research bud'

• Like Like x 3
    • Love You Love You x 1
  9. There's my £100. Best of luck friend.
    PS look up this bloke on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/mrbonney
    Michael Bonney-Started Ducati UpNorth. Bad mountain bike accident.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Thanks guys :) it's going well so far. Please do share it everywhere you can.

11. Get well soon Sam, made a tiny donation, hope it helps. God bless and god speed!

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. It's been a while since any updates Sam but to you and your's the very best for christmas and continued best wishes for the challenges ahead

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. As above Sam, I’ve been meaning to get in touch mate but my life’s been hectic lately,

Hope you’re well bud

14. £100 donated :upyeah:

• Like Like x 4
Do Not Sell My Personal Information