1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

749 Sargent Seat

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by Mongoose, May 15, 2016.

1. Im thinking of changing my seat on my 749 (thanks @Roadtrip :Meh:) to something a bit more 'grippy'. Doesn't seem to be too many options around unfortunately but what I've found so far is the Sargent seat which comes as a complete new unit or Luimoto who do seat covers. Both would be a online purchase but ideally I would've preferred to actually feel one to see how 'grippy' they are. Not sure about which one to go for as the price between the two is massive and would rather splash out for the right one rather than buy a cheep one. So can anyone recommend a good aftermarket one ? Thanks in advance .

2. Alcantera cover,much grippier than the stock seat,cost me a tenner for my local upholsterer to fit it.
    Go on german ebay.
    20140827_140030.jpg

#2 yellowducmaniac, May 15, 2016
    Last edited: May 15, 2016
    • Like Like x 6
  3. That is nice in Yellow :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Thanks, I've only ever seen 1 other mono yellow 'S' on the road.

5. ive fitted the sargent and the difference is nyt and day, certainly a load gripper.
    btw that yellow 999s is beautiful, I looked for one in yellow for near 6 month with no luck
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  6. Took your advice @yellowducmaniac and ordered the same material from German eBay as recommend by youself. It turned up this morning in a neatly packed box and there was no signs of any 'Gixer!' so I was well pleased !! Thought about having a go in fitting it myself but I fear for my fingers which would probably end up getting stapled to the seat so I've scrapped that idea. I've sourced a local upholstery business not to far from me so I'll get it down there this weekend to see what they can do. The material does seem to be a lot more grippy than standard which was exactly what I was looking for. Im hoping they can get it looking something like your one.
    Oh and after looking at you bike now in its new form I think yellow could be the new red especially with the white number boards fitted! Looking seriously cool now and I don't think I've ever seen a mono in yellow before.

• Like Like x 1
  7. I don't have a 749 but I do have 2 Sargent seats; on the 916 and Monster. As you may have guessed I'm a fan. Less slippy but slippy enough, much more comfortable and doesn't squish your plums like the standard 916 seat does.
    Also being thicker it sits you about 15-20mm higher which I prefer, especially on the Monster - wish they made one for the Guzzi as that seat is ridiculously low and like a plank...

8. Glad you went for the German option mongoose, a wise choice, i'm happy with mine...as for trying to fit it yourself it only cost me a tenner to get it done professionally, far better than I could have done it...no brainer mate.
    Many people are surprised when they find out that the yellow mono 'S' was a factory OE bike and not a converted bip!,some people think that they only did the 749 in yellow..the rear number boards came as standard as on the red version ,the front number board is aftermarket but suits the bike IMO, i decided to put the bike back to standard cos I've finally got my leaking yellow tank properly sorted.

• Like Like x 1
  9. must have gone back and looked at the photo of your bike a dozen times now, really is a stunner, always like the ducs in yellow, had a 916 in yellow ;-)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Got the seat back this weekend and I'm very pleased with the final result. For a nano second I thought about have a go at fitting it myself but I'm sure I would've stapled my figures to it so I went for the same option as @yellowducmaniac and found a local car upholstery who was only to happy to fit for me.
    It's certainly a lot more grippy than before which was exactly what I was looking for.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  11. Looking good Mongoose.. I had mine fitted about a year ago and I've done about 3500 miles since and it seems to be wearing well, i don't know how it would fare if it got wet tho, i had a pair of suede shoes once that I walked through a puddle in and it totally f@cked 'em...mind you I don't ride in the rain so it ain't a problem for me.:grin:

#13 yellowducmaniac, Jun 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
  12. Hi - late on this, but what's the comfort like on that seat compared to stock. Do you know if they are available in the uk?

13. Its a load better and big bonus is the way its dished, stops you sliding forward whilst braking, got mine in uk, if you google sargant uk you will get the uk dealer, not cheap

• Like Like x 1
  14. Thx - yep found it. £279 - could be money well spent as was looking at selling as bike starting to "hurt". Knee jerk!! - better to try better seat, lower setting on rear sets and possibly best bet as the suspension feels rock hard, book it in to be set up properly for my 11 stone by mct in stowmarket. Cheers, Andrew.

• Like Like x 1
  15. One of the first things I changed on my 749 was the seat, i've had a sergeant seat for years one of the best modifications coming second to the termi. Highly recommended and much more comfortable than the stock seat.

IMAGE_007.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information