1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sat Nav's

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by Pavey, Nov 18, 2017.

1. Just been looking at motorcycle sat nav's, didn't realise there were so many of them out there, what a minefield.

Any recommendations from people that use one daily?

2. Garmin 390lm, I use every day, can't fault it, but whatever you choose, I'm firmly in the Garmin camp.

3. Thanks mate, didn't realise they were close to £400! Thought £150 ish!

4. I have a Garmin 595LM. Used for two European trips this year as well as everyday use as linked music to it on my rides. It was expensive but bought it in a deal last year. It’s also robust having fell out of the mounting (user error not Garmins!) at a fair pace on my Blackbird! Just waiting to fit it to the new bike now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Garmin 595LM with touratech locking mount on my duke, Garmin 660 on my beemer. That has been replaced for a 2nd time due to a non fault car collision. You can ring up the customer service & ask about getting a refurbished unit at a good discount. My 2nd 660 was imho perfect.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. I recommend you save your money and get a map.

I've got Tomtom 410 as advised by Ride magazine, they said it was easier to operate than the Garmin 595. Well all I can say is, if the Tomtom is easier heaven help you with the Garmin. One day I might actually work out how to use the damn thing :(
    Adventurous routes will take you up bloody goat tracks, especially if you forget and leave on "use unmetled roads"

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. I will say with all the funky features of the Garmin 595LM, if all you want is a sat-nav. The Zumo660 is still the bees-knees. It has a brighter screen & plays music just as well. The 595 has all these connect to the internet features & streaming music ability but its annoyance to me is that as I do wear hi-vis gear. And it has the special anti-glare screen it doesn't deflect yellow hue, or sunlight bouncing off the riding gear.

8. I like my Garmin 590LM. The screen is brighter than I expected, and the LM means lifetime map updates are free. Can't complain at that.

9. Still not quite figured the TomTom out yet then Gareth ?? :D

10. Have a guess :yum

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Google Maps from phone, Sena headset... job done. Or get a handlebar mount and look at the phone too if you need it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. That was one thought but thought some scrote might rip it off while i'm in London. Will look into the Sena headset, thanks.

13. Recommend the Sena 10u if you have a flip lid.

14. I use my phone on a quad lock mount. I run Waze on the phone as it has a rather inadvertently bike friendly feature. It has a suggested button feature that will start a little countdown before it clicks the most likely button for you. Excellent if your phone won’t work with gloves on.

As far as the quad lock mount goes, these things are excellent. Have to push the plus section and twist to release. Easy to do in gloves and I just pocket my phone when filling up with petrol etc.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Had a TomTom rider 400, what a useless piece of junk.

I now use a Quad Lock and haven’t looked back, it’s an excellent bit of kit. The navigation application range and quality available on smart phones is far better than a dedicated nav.

I use Waze for general navigation and Scenic for route planning and downloading GPX files.

The one drawback on my iPhone 8 is that the camera can’t seem to handle the wind blast (SuperDuke 1290), I’m on my 3rd replacement camera due to the image stabilizer going crazy.... a bit of electrical tape over the camera case opening should do the trick.

#15 Jimmy899, Nov 19, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
  16. Is the phone secure enough with a quad lock that it couldn’t be ripped off at the lights?

17. Same for me but with an interphone headset...just listen to the prompts...no need to look at anything, plus it streams music in at the same time and mutes that when a command is issued from the mapping...

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. It will take a fair effort to rip the phone off - definitely not something that could be snatched at the lights.

Personally I prefer to glance down and look at the nav. It’s useful to see the bends approaching, and Waze also shows speed cameras/traps well in advance on the map.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. This is the simple twist on/off mount but the video shows the strength.

The mount on the bike has an extra bit of security in that it requires you to push a blue section and twist at the same time. I have the simple twist on/off mount in the car and the wife has the same case as me

20. Thanks mate, very helpful.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information