1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Satnav Advice

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Pembroke Boy, May 17, 2015.

1. Hi guys.

Complete newbie here, but just bought my first Ducati after 20 years of Honda and Trumpets....:)

Can anyone offer any advice on satnav purchase and fitting? I'm thinking Tomtom Rider, but unsure on fitting to new Multi.

Any thoughts? Cheers guys!

2. Garmin is the way most go....
    As a TomTom man through and through it took me a while but I like it.
    Mounting is above the clocks is best....German mount ...............when I feeling less lazy i'll put in a link.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Garmin for me, just upgraded from the 660 to the 590 Zumo, these models allow you to route plan on the PC and transfer the route to the nav. Routes can be shared with your biking buddies.
    The ideal mount is above the speedo however there will be no such mounts available for the 2015 model yet, a yoke or handlebar mount will have to suffice until one is developed.

4. +1 for Garmin, I've got an old Zumo 660
    +1 for mouting above the clocks.

The good news is that the Navihalter for the 2015 is now available, this is the German mount @AirCon is referring to. I've ordered one however I won't be fitting it for a while as I'll be touring on my 2013 bike and doing the trade in mid June. I'll be selling my 2013/14 Navihalter and a 2010/11/12 Navihalter I still have when I get home, along with loads of other accessories.

#4 steveb123, May 17, 2015
    Last edited: May 17, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Cheers guys. Looks like I might need to change my mind from Tomtom and yoke mount then ;)

I'll take a look at the Navihalter and see how I get on.

Appreciate your help.

6. The Navihalter is perfect as its in exactly the right place to see without taking your eyes off the road ahead.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. One difference between gar in and Tomtom , if switched on,then garmin will store your entire route along with pin point accuracy of speeds and location. This can be downloaded by people you might not want too. Tomtom info cannot yet be downloaded by the same people,FYI only.

8. Garmin 340 for a everything you need streets ahead of Tom Tom mounted nine on bars of 2013 multi using bracket in kit works perfectly doesn't obscure clocks and easy to see. Can post you a photo if you're interested

9. I've just changed from a Garmin Zumo 660 to a TomTom Rider 400 and I have to say that it's brilliant. You can pre program routes on a PC and load it onto the TT etc, fantastic screen, it makes the Zumo look and feel old.
    Oh and I've mounted it below the speedo on a yolk mount.

image.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. +1 for TomTom and the TYRE software - I hear lots of issues with Garmin and Mapsource. but TYRE and TT is easy to use. I use a ram bolt mount on the bar yoke as above. very easy to fit and remove.

11. Tyre and garmin is very easy too.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Cheers again for all your advice guys. Gotta say, yours on the yoke mount looks tidy Duc2. I kinda think the mount above the display is a bit too much.....

Is a Ram bolt purchase for the DVT something I've just got to surf around for, is there somewhere specific I should head too?

13. Garmin zumo660 owner; when my gps' earplug socket became faulty this year(brought 2008). The customer service offered me a refurbished jobbie for £120. I bite the bullet & was sent a brand new 2014 model zumo660.

14. I was a diehard Mapsource fan. But the latest versions of Basecamp have come along way. You can now download the subscribed maps offline instead of needing to plug the unit in. Yes, they are also accessible by Mapsource so you can use that too.

There are certain versatilities to Basecamp which is really good. I am using it more than Mapsource.

Tomtom Rider 400 is unfortunately fraught with bugs which have negated any love for the straightforward functionality of the older units. Apparantly you can't upload custom routes unless copying it to a microSD first than sticking it in the unit.

Unit itself is great. But you can't delete waypoints on a route on the fly like previous, which makes it a pain if you missed a waypoint. Screen is gorgeous though.

• Like Like x 1
  15. What he said, Mapsource was easy and Basecamp was a pain now through development it i more user friendly.

16. GARMIN MONTANA 600 and BikePenR GPS mount works brilliant for years...

17. I really struggle with Basecamp. As a Mac user it's really unintuitive.
    I have just discovered a way to create routes on Google maps, export the files, convert it (even though Garmin says I don't have to) and import it into Basecamp.

Fiddly but a bit easier to use than using just Basecamp. I never understand why you can't search for a destination in basecamp, I just always get error messages.

I also would like to download the latest maps onto my laptop, but I just get into a total loop with Basecamp telling me I need to update the map, taking me to the website which then makes me use Garmin Express, which then tells me the map is up to date!!!

18. I use BuyBitz Hybrid Mounting Solutions from BuyBits Ltd or amazon for bits like this the part number for the bolt is RAM-B-367, its an M8 bolt - easy to take one bolt out of the yoke and replace with Ram bolt - Torque setting is 25nm for the bolt.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Great post Veetwin, thanks. That looks like exactly what I want, top man!

20. I have a Zumo 390Lm and I ordered the Navihalter last Saturday. Normally, I'll receive it this week. I use the carbon windshield, so I 'll place pics when it's mounted. Pic from navihalter.de :
    [​IMG]

Do Not Sell My Personal Information