1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scared As Hell, 1098 Throttle Stuck Wfo !

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by saddleonup, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Has anybody had this problem? what could it be. Twice now my throttle on my 1098 streetfighter 2009 model has stuck open. First time it just stayed open at cruising speed when I shut the throttle closed for an up coming corner, I grabbed the clutch, hit the kill switch, then started the bike back up - all fine again? . 2 months later I accelerated away in 1st gear and the bike just took off FULL throttle , front wheel skyward, almost went over backwards...... grabbed the clutch just in time, the front wheel comes crashing back down, while the engine is just screaming at full RPM bouncing off the rev limiter. I hit the kill switch and the bike shut down. THIS happened outside an elementary school ! children everywhere ! I started the bike back up and all fine ? what could it be ? air censer ? carbon in the throttle butterfly valves ?

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. The Streetfighter has a mechanical link to the throttle body, i.e. a cable. I would look towards the butterfly area 1st rather than a sensor.

Scary all the same, glad it didn't end badly. :confused:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Was it mechanically stuck/jammed? If not could be a faulty TPS.
    Happened to me once on track...:eek:

4. Haven’t the foggiest, but I’ll bet there’s loads of impressed school kids actively saving up for a Ducati!
    :)

• Funny Funny x 11
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. For something as potentialiy lethal as that I wouldn't be asking for thoughts on a forum ... sorry ... just saying ...

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. happend on my 2013 848 within the first month or so, an yip, comming in to a corrner, scarry stuff. never happend again and no fault was found when it went in for its first service.

• Like Like x 1
  7. These bikes have 2 throttle cables, one to pull it open and another to pull it shut so it shouldn't be possible for the throttle to stick open unless something is interfering with butterflies or throttle linkage between the intakes. A faulty TPS won't cause it unless the engine is also getting air which it won't if the butterflies are closed.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. Quick question? Does it have the original grips on or do you have heated grips/aftermarket grips?

9. hear yah, but pushing it back didnt work on mine, blipping it did tho, i do remember the throtle at that moment felt a tad notchy/scratchy.

10. As Derek has said above, it must be something mechanical, I would be looking carefully around the butterflies and linkage myself. It cant rev if the butterflies are closed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. The multistrada had a recall and fix for something similar. MTS1200S version 2010- to the twin spark (not effected).

12. Yes, but unlike the 848/1098 motors the MTS cables don't drive the throttles directly. They operate an Twistgrip Position Sensor (APS) which relays the twist grip position to the ECU which then applies a signal to the throttle body servo motors to reflect this depending on the mode setting. A sticking cable would have the same effect though.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Wouldn't the bike just stall / run poorly if it was the TPS, even if it thought the throttle was fully open. Without the butterfly being opened mechanically or jammed, I'm not sure it would rev up. I stand to be corrected though. :thinkingface:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. When it happened on my the throttle tube was freely opening and springing/spring back unhindered.

15. OK good point (I don't have a workshop manual ) But if its a mechanical operation not controlled by a servo motor, then as long as the return throttle cable is connected and operating it (butterfly valves) shouldn't be able to stick open. I will have a closer look today ! thanks

16. Thanks derek, good point. I'll get the spanners out and start looking into it more closely today. maybe the return cable isn't adjusted and has become very slack or maybe even broken?

17. They are aftermarket grips but they are not binding on any surface, the throttle returns closed very freely if you let go of the twist grip?

18. I went for another careful ride yesterday afternoon after looking at the butterfly valves where the cables connect , it all seemed to feel and look OK , but during the ride the bike didn't react to a closed throttle and again just kept the revs constant .... it took a blip of the throttle to have the bike drop its RPM.... I have called the Dealership and talked to the head mechanic. He said he will come out and do a full service at the same time. I will keep you posted on what he finds !

• Like Like x 4
  19. Yes a faulty TPS would trigger a default a/f ratio and ignition advance resulting in poor running. I know because I have a faulty TPS on my ZX10-R and these are the symptoms.

20. The TPS might send incorrect signals to the ecu, meaning the ecu might over fuel, but as the butterflies are closed it wouldn't get enough air, so possibly it could over rev temporarily until it choked though overfueling.
    Just a thought.
    Steve

Do Not Sell My Personal Information